Minitruckin' Magazine \  Project D350 Build Thread

Project D350 Build Thread

Minitruckin' Magazine
views 15822
replies 146
following 71

D350   +1y
Edited: 2/8/2009 5:06:09 AM by D350

Hey all. I've seen a lot of cool build threads so I figured I'd share my own.
This isn't a new project. I purchased an 86 Dodge D50 on March 1st 2008 and have been cutting away on it since. It'll take me a bit to get you all up to speed.
I hope you find it as cool as I do.
Introducing Project D350!
D350   +1y
Edited: 2/8/2009 5:05:43 AM by D350

March 1, 2008I bought the truck for $300 and drove it across town to my shop. (Bout 14 miles) It ran great! Not really peppy though. I plan to fix that.Those 14 miles are the only miles I put on it since I owned it. I bought the truck for one purpose and one purpose only. It went under the knife immediately!Here's my blank canvas. Those without imagination should skip these photos...
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
D350   +1y
March 8, 2008

The main focus of this project is simply to squeeze a bunch of go-fastness into a tiny frame.

Not long before I bought the truck, a had purchased an 88 Chevy 5.7 350 TPI V8 and transmission. It was originally going to go in my Chevy Astro (almost a direct bolt in) but then I realized, even after selling my first and only mildly custom small truck over 7 years ago... I was still a Minitrucker at heart.

After this realization, and discovering some leaky intake valves, I decided I wasn't going to cut any corners, and began a complete overhaul of the Chevy motor. New bearings, forged aluminum pistons and rings, machined block, 3 angle valve job on the heads, port matched everything, and painted every last nut, bolt, and washer.

post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
D350   +1y
March 14, 2008

I ripped into it. After removing everything damaged, useless, or nasty... there was practically nothing left!

The smashed passenger core support, the motor, and all of the interior are gone. GONE!

Lastly, I removed the bed so I could rip out more stuff.

post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
standardbyker88   +1y
looks like it will be a sweet truck when its done. im not that fond of that bodystyle in pictures, but they are pretty cool in person.

props on buildin somethin old and less common.
trucks&stuff   +1y
freakin sweet!!!!
disfiguredS10   +1y
Looks like fun....welcome.
stockfloored85   +1y
looks like it will be sick!
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
thats gonna be bad ass when its done!

nice

Taylor
D350   +1y
Thank you everyone. That was a rather warm welcome. I appreciate it!

April 5, 2008

Still stripping stuff down. I decided to removed the cab without help using an engine hoist. That almost turned out really bad. I attached the chains to the bolts that hold in the seats. Everything went just fine until I pulled the cab over the side of the frame rails. Apparently the front was still pretty heavy and the whole cab pitched forward. I think I pooped as I watched the windshield dive toward the concrete. The entire cab was now suspended 3 inches off the ground and hanging from only two of the small seat bolts. Luckily they held and I still have front glass.

post photo