threads
Page 1 of 4
Build-Ups \  Stock Floor Body Drop, '99 Ford Ranger - Help?

Stock Floor Body Drop, '99 Ford Ranger - Help?

Build-Ups General Discussions
views 9343
replies 33
following 10

markmnotdead   +1y
I decided it's time to body drop my ranger. I plan on doing a stock floor body drop with a stock 2.5 liter engine. I'm going to use 2x3" 1/4 wall steel tubing for the frame section under the cab. Planned on Z'ing the frame and running the 2x3 tube inside of the stock frame and welding it across the bottom then cutting the top off and welding the top. I was wondering if I would have to lower my motor any? I've been researching stock floor drops on rangers for a while now and I think I might have missed that part in my research. I also have to figure out how low I'm going to have to drop my body mounts. If anyone has some info on this lemme know. I plan to keep this thread going through the process and posting progress pictures and all that stuff.

I pulled out my transmission last week and I pulled my motor out today. Hopefully removing the cab tomorrow and starting the body drop sometime this week/weekend

- Mark
thacru78   +1y
2x3x1/4 is over kill...3/16 will be plenty. Ecspecially since your planning on laying it inside your stock frame. I would drop the motor down as far as possible. It will limit the size of your hood scoop, or possibly allow you to run a stock hood. I've never done a Ranger so IDK for sure...but I would drop the motor down and keep a good 1/2 or so clearance to the ground with the oil or tranny pan. I also don't know how far you have to drop the cab mounts...I always finish the frame...then place the cab on...and build the cab mounts. I've never done cab mounts without the cab on the frame...doing it that way gaurantees they will be spot on. Good luck to your build.
markmnotdead   +1y
--------------------------------------------

thacru78 said:

2x3x1/4 is over kill...3/16 will be plenty. Ecspecially since your planning on laying it inside your stock frame. I would drop the motor down as far as possible. It will limit the size of your hood scoop, or possibly allow you to run a stock hood. I've never done a Ranger so IDK for sure...but I would drop the motor down and keep a good 1/2 or so clearance to the ground with the oil or tranny pan. I also don't know how far you have to drop the cab mounts...I always finish the frame...then place the cab on...and build the cab mounts. I've never done cab mounts without the cab on the frame...doing it that way gaurantees they will be spot on. Good luck to your build.

I'll stick with the 3/16 wall then haha. I'm not exactly sure how much I need to Z the frame either. How do I figure that out? I've seen a few posts on here saying that they've Z'd their ranger frame 2.5 and then a stock floor body drop of 3.5 or somewhere around there. With lowering the motor won't I have to lower the rack and pinion and things like that? Or does that just depend on how low I go with the motor? I have a mercury/explorer hood right now, it's a little taller than the stock hood. To be honest I wasn't really looking to lower the motor and have to modify everything else like the rack and pinion and all that other stuff like changing my clutch fan to an electric fan because the stock fan wouldn't line up with the radiator or something. Can I just lower the motor mounts? I have to replace them anyways because one of them was bad when I pulled the motor. Can I just fab my own mounts that are lower profile or something instead of cutting the engine crossmember and all that or what? Just trying to figure out this motor situation before I start cutting stuff up. I just don't want to throw of the geometry of the front steering and suspension and mess something up with lowering the motor and all that, if that makes any sense. Thanks for the imput! Much appreciated!

- Mark
DalyDrgr   +1y
When I did my 98 I didnt drop the motor nor did I Z the frame and kept everything under a stock hood. What I did do was raise the upper control arms and notch the rails for the axles. This allowed me to keep a stock hood, lay body without any bind ups and gave me less negative camber in the end.

I do not have any pics, unfortunately, but you can hit up chiznad20 on here and see if he has any since he now owns my truck.

Hope this helps a bit, good luck with your build.
complexdesigns   +1y
It wont fit without lowering it sticks up a good 2" or so above the body and wont clear even an edge hood, there isnt really much room to lower the motor to clear either unless you do something like mentioned above.
markmnotdead   +1y

complexdesigns said:

It wont fit without lowering it sticks up a good 2" or so above the body and wont clear even an edge hood, there isnt really much room to lower the motor to clear either unless you do something like mentioned above.

Yeah man that's what I figured, I've talked to multiple people about it and it's one thing after another once you lower the motor and if I'm going to have to modify all that stuff I might as well build a front suspension from scratch. I decided I'm just going to suck it up and get a cowl hood and rock that. I found one that will look good on the truck so no worries man. Thanks for the input.

Starting the body drop this weekend. Pulled the cab today now the truck is just a rolling chassis. Picked up my tubing today as well. I'll post pictures in a few!
markmnotdead   +1y

complexdesigns said:

I really dig your ranger btw man!
markmnotdead   +1y

complexdesigns said:

I really dig your ranger btw man!
markmnotdead   +1y
Edited: 4/25/2012 1:39:17 AM by markmnotdead

A few progress pictures from today.

Now time to start planning exactly what I'm going to do with this frame and all that good stuff. Should have it cut up by the weekend or during the weekend. Can't wait. Is it weird that I'm excited to finally lay rockers?..
post photo
markmnotdead   +1y
Edited: 4/25/2012 1:40:52 AM by markmnotdead