Page 2 of 3
Hydraulic Suspensions \  Hydraulics dropping too fast

Hydraulics dropping too fast

Hydraulic Suspensions Q & A
views 2649
replies 25
following 12

kingpin7714   +1y
To do the 6 dump set up, you'd get two 3 dump manifolds, and use a "T" on the pressure side of the system. The "T" would then route to both of the "press" ports on each manifold, then each manifold has it's own return and slowdown.

You'd also want to wire it the same sorta way you would a 5 dump manifold, so, when the pump lifts the front, the rear would "open".

I think! haha
kingpin7714   +1y
Edited: 7/8/2011 10:41:24 PM by kingpin7714

sorta like how there's 5 separate dumps here:

just put another dump (and another check vavle) between the dumps labeled 3 and 4
Juiced202   +1y
There should only be one check valve. If there are two, then the fluid cannot transfer between corners, as the system is designed to do...

post photo
kingpin7714   +1y
AH, ok, I was thinking that would negate the two slowdown thing, but, I see now, nice!
tre5   +1y
I don't care what anyone says... until someone proves to me that the twin manifolds with twin slow downs actually controls the dump of the car differently than it would with only one slow down... I don't buy it.

Even Brandon, you just said... (in regards to check valves) "If there are two, then the fluid cannot transfer between corners, as the system is designed to do..."
The fluid transfer is what adds to the fact that the front and rear will dump at different speeds.

This is why you see the back of the vehicle go up when the front is dumped. The fluid takes the path of least resistance, which you would think would be to head back to the tank but remember you have a slow down going back to the tank, so it goes to the rear cylinders first. The fluid transfer also comes into play with you are lifting the truck. You will also notice the front will dump some when lifting the rear, but this may be eliminated or it can be eliminated if you wire the switches a certain way.

A minitruck would have to be the worst choice for a 1-5 setup, while a car like a magnum would be the best choice. This is based on the weight ratio idea. A minitruck will have the majority of the weight towards the front of the vehicle, while the magnum will be fairly close to a 50/50 ratio, due to the added sheet metal, glass, and rear diff. The problem with a one pump setup is that you only have one return. No matter if you run two manifolds with two slow downs... it's still going back through the same port into the same tank. The only way to make it kinda work is to put slow downs on the lines to the cylinders, but that will also effect the lift.

I have run 1-5 setups on my own personal vehicles, and long before the Hydroholics manifolds came out. Derek and I would just plumb the 5 dumps together and roll with it. We also used 5 switches with it, one switch would activate the pump if hit up and the main dump if hit down. The other 4 would only work in the down position and would control the 4 additional dumps. We could do any move we wanted to while hitting combinations (with the exception of pancake and seesaw).

Anyway... back to the topic. If you want the front to dump closer to the speed of the rear, just dump both at the same time. It will still not be perfect, but it should work a little better for you. I am betting you just put an iron block and iron head motor in your truck and it probably out weighs the stock configuration by at least 200lbs if not 3-400lbs. Ad to that the fact that you don't have a lot going on behind the axle weight wise and you're bound to have a weight ratio closer to 80-20 or so. The only minitruck I know of that works well with a one pump setup is Patrick's Hardbody built by Chassis by Aaron. If you compare that truck to yours (weight ratio wise)... he has a small stock 4 banger with a small stock tranny compared to your v8 and (probably) 350 or 400 tranny. He also has some added sprung weight in the rear due to the fact that it is an IRS setup, whereas yours has a live axle and that weight is unsprung.

Hope that helps you understand...
automatik23   +1y
Sounds like I need a second pump haha How hard is it to plumb a second tank and however many dumps I need in a remote location so its hidden? And yea the engine is an old iron 351 Windsor with an automatic trans. This issue is making me want to pull the V8 out and put the 4 cylinder back in...
AON-4PumpedCL   +1y
Edited: 7/12/2011 1:15:44 AM by AON-4PumpedCL

Hey Billy,

You can keep your single pump and your 5-dump manifold, but you'll have to buy (2) additional slowdowns, (2) additional check valves, (4) T-fittings, and (8) elbows to create some 'inline' slowdowns. In theory this will allow you to adjust the dump speed of your front corners independent from the back entirely. Here's a quick drawing of what I'm talking about:

Just hide the mess of fittings somewhere under the truck where the slowdowns are still somewhat accessable and you'll be a happy camper.
AON-JAMES   +1y
Aaron, you should leave the drawing to Rachel, LOL. :) JK.
Juiced202   +1y
Nice drawing, Aaron. Make sure that if you go this route, that you buy slowdowns with a built-in check valve.
Juiced202   +1y
Edited: 7/12/2011 12:49:02 PM by Juiced202

Edited: 7/12/2011 12:47:35 PM by Juiced202

--------------------------------------------

tre5 said:

I don't care what anyone says... until someone proves to me that the twin manifolds with twin slow downs actually controls the dump of the car differently than it would with only one slow down... I don't buy it.

Even Brandon, you just said... (in regards to check valves) "If there are two, then the fluid cannot transfer between corners, as the system is designed to do..."The fluid transfer is what adds to the fact that the front and rear will dump at different speeds.

This is why you see the back of the vehicle go up when the front is dumped. The fluid takes the path of least resistance, which you would think would be to head back to the tank but remember you have a slow down going back to the tank, so it goes to the rear cylinders first. The fluid transfer also comes into play with you are lifting the truck. You will also notice the front will dump some when lifting the rear, but this may be eliminated or it can be eliminated if you wire the switches a certain way.

--------------------------------------------

True, but you are talking about the path of least resistance. If I have slowdowns under each manifold, and I want to pancake, the fluid leaving that manifold will travel to path of least resistance, meaning that specific manifold's return.

There was a time when my front main switch came loose (who ever did my wiring, LOL) and I only had the rear main to lower the car. It still lowered pretty close to pancake like normal, but definitely not the same as it did before. The rear dropped before the front. You might say "yeah, well your rear weighs more," except that sometimes when I lift the front, it also lifts the rear a little bit.

I am a believer in 1-6s and pancake.