threads
Page 12 of 14
Build-Ups \  Child Support is finally glossy!

Child Support is finally glossy!

Build-Ups General Discussions
views 10909
replies 138
following 59

draggin91   +1y
Its a stubby! Its definitely gonna balance it out more. Hurry up an finish it
22below   +1y
lol christmas time
Niiice
Jcfreeman0   +1y
Shooting for it being a roller at RA Allstar but we'll see.
Jcfreeman0   +1y
Slow progress.
post photo
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
holy shit! that bed looks great on there. Man, i cannot wait to see it complete. When are you shooting for??
The major   +1y
looks awesome. thanks for sharing
guiltybydesign   +1y
i know you already got them in there but ive always had better luck making my tubing out of 4 plates when working with compound miter cuts like your going with. The tube over the axle is what im talking about, i think youd have a stronger and better looking joint if you cut 4 plates to the shape you need and welded them up. The shortbed looks awesome, itll really make the chop look proportional.
Jcfreeman0   +1y
That would have been the better route for sure. I do plan on fish plating notch area with a piece of 3/16" plate on both sides that is shaped to the angels of the the notch. It'll have a cross member of some kind near that area as well. I always second guess my work and over build things...

Thanks for the thoughts though. I'm always open to constructive criticism to continue learning.
guiltybydesign   +1y
Where are you putting the bags? I dont think fish plates would really be necessary if your bags are in front of that point. I see people all the time plate every joint in their frame like theyre building a tank even if the last 4 only hold up the weight of the bed.
Jcfreeman0   +1y
Bags will be in front of the notch about half way down the inside front angled frame rail on the lower bars. It will have a 2x4 crossmember between the straight frame rails coming from the cab to use for my front tabs. Not exactly sure how I'm going to do the uppers yet. At the moment the only two options I can think of would be outside the frame rails or a wishbone with 2 ends on the front crossmember and fab up some sort of tab on the center section for my super pivot. I'm a little skeptical of that since its cast though.

The seams on the tubes line up real nice but I will have to do a little pie cutting and hammering to get it all lined up perfect due to the compound angles. I planned on fish plating it anyways because I like that look so I'm sure thats how it'll end up. Like I said I overbuild shit all the time when I know I dont need too but I'd rather do it this way then have problems down the road after its all together and painted etc.

I planned on pie cutting a piece of 2x4 to get a curved look on a short crossmember on top of the notch. I need to figure out my upper link situation before I get that far though. A flat piece would hit my center section on the rear end so it has to have an angled crossmember on top or I could put it in front or behind the axle. I know cutting out 4 pieces would be easier vs a bunch of pie cuts and welds but I dont have any way to roll thick steel to get a smooth even curve. I'd like to have some kind of crossmember though for piece of mind and a place to put my shocks. I plan on putting some Fox shocks with resis. My previous setup I ran shocks from the crossmember between the notch straight down to the lower bar. I wont be able to run that setup this time because of the angled lower bars but I think from the center of the top crossmember angled towards the outside of the rear end will be a nice clean install. Basically the top crossmember I'm planning on doing is similar to they way we did this burban:
post photo
post photo