Page 2 of 2
Body work and Paint \  painting on stock paint

painting on stock paint

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 1202
replies 17
following 7

devilx   +1y
This will just be something simple. She isn't picky at all. The airbrushing will just be to look like the new color is in 3d. You know how you would back shadow set of flames, something like that. I would love to do some skulls or whatever but she is not into all that. Maybe she will let me do some ghost shooting stars or something. Time is really the issue for me cause i don't have a shop to work in. I know the weather plays a part in it so like i said it will be spring before i even attempt it. should i sand the whole car or just the areas where the candy is going?
rodandtruckdesign   +1y
you already said you were going to clear the whole car....so you gotta sand the whole car...or your gonna hit a bug and it will flake the clear all the way back to where you sanded....where ever paint is going it's got to be sanded
devilx   +1y
yeah, you're right. thanks, i think i have a good idea on how to start it. one more thing, if i use the intercoat, will i need to sand that also when i get ready to clear?
rodandtruckdesign   +1y
use the nitercoat only under your candy...shoot the candy...intercoat clear.....then airbrush...intercoat clear.....untape...... intercoat clear......drop shadow...intercoat clear......clear the whole thing......you should not have to do anything to the intercoat as long as you recoat in less than 24 hours...if longer than that you need to scuff with a green scotchbrite.....you just use the intercoat clear to protect you base , candy or airbrush work from the solvents in the next coats....that's about it
have fun
sik_kreations   +1y
Edited: 12/21/2010 2:53:21 AM by sik_kreations

Edited: 12/21/2010 2:51:53 AM by sik_kreations

if use say hok sg100 or ppg dbc 500 (un activated) then ull be fine past the 24 hours. just throw a nice medium coat over reduced before clearing and u wont have to worry about windows. if thats a little over ur head. just shoot intercoat clear and knock the shine down with some grey or even red scotchbrite.

i think bill is getting a little over cautious with the use of intercoat... but he seems to be playing it safe. keep in mind hok has a 4 coat max on sg100 at the standard 2 to 1 mix. i mix it 1 to 1 so i could turn that into 5 or so. but i try no to push it. im not trying to be a dick.. but what ur asking is basic custom paint... do u have the experience to pull it off a full vehicle in a short amount of time?
devilx   +1y
yeah. i should be able to do this. it's only paint. if it doesn't work, i'll sand it down and start over. but i got a pretty good understanding on how to do this.
sik_kreations   +1y
well everyone says sand and start over. but its actually a big pita and frustrating to say the least. just take ur time. and go by the book. dont rush it by all means.
devilx   +1y
Well thanks for the help. Really guys. You all have been real cool about this. You don't much here anymore. I'll post pics when i get started on it and of my truck when i start painting it.