Page 1 of 2
Body work and Paint \  painting on stock paint

painting on stock paint

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 1184
replies 17
following 7

devilx   +1y
i need to know the steps to paint on my wifes stock silver paint. not really a full paint job but adding solid painted graphics. any help would be helpful. thanks
rodandtruckdesign   +1y
well first of all...clean clean clean....you gotta use something like 'polycracker' or a diluted wash of purple power...dish washing soap too....you have to get all the wax residue off.....then you gotta scuff the clearcoat...red or reen scotchbriteree....tape off what youre gonna paint....lay down some 'intercoat clear' or a sealer of some sort to promote adhesion....paint...then pull paper and tape...either clear whole car or just graphics.....buff out where you scuffed up the paint...pinstripe edges....go to shows...it's that easy.....lolol......man there are so many variables that its hard to tell you all the steps needed.....you can actually find a good book at barnes and noble or someplace like that on how to paint your car....find the section on patch painting or panel painting...this should get you started....any other questions just give me a shout and i'll help you all i can
Uncle Fester   +1y
Bill has it right. Cleaning and degreasing the wax is so important. Scuff and find a good tape line for graphics and clear.
TheGh0st   +1y
that sums it up just remember if ur layn clear down remember to blend it with the rest of the nearest panel for transition from panel to panel
sik_kreations   +1y
on stock metallic paint i would use a p800 wet lightly(take care on edges and and sharp body lines) and finish with grey scotchbrite and scuff paste. u dont want to burn through and have to reshoot the silver. other then that, its like painting anything else. i dont know if u were trying to get away with not clearing the whole panel but i would.
devilx   +1y
probably will clear the whole car back just avoid it from chipping and peeling later. thanks guys. i had a pretty good idea of how to do it but i just wanted to get some views from the pros. how long should the whole process take? a weekend? or longer. it's my wifes daily so the weekends is the only time i get to work on it.
rodandtruckdesign   +1y
the time will vary depending on how many colors and how many coats it takes to get full coverage. with cooler weather you need to look at what temp reducer you are using.....make sure you have plenty of flash time between coats.. if you have a temp controlled downdraft booth you can bake between coats and then finsh bake when you've got the clear shot....you could be ready to roll in a weekend...but if youre doing this in you garage it'll take longer....if you start fri afternoon cleaning and preping you should be ready to shoot late fri night.(depending on what you take off, and how well you tape).... you wont be able to colorsand and buff in one weekend.....just makes the clear harder to cut and buff the longer you wait....but if your graphics are simple , few colors, and the weather plays nice...you could get it done....but again...bunch of factors i'm guessing on here.....dont let your base flash for longer than 24 hrs before recoating always use an intercoat clear to protect your work...but watch your mil thickness you dont the paint too thick.....have fun.....
devilx   +1y
i'll be just adding one color, probably a candy color just whatever color she wants and maybe minimum airbrushing to it to give it some depth. we was watching pimp my ride and some dude had his corolla in a silver with a red color. she liked it so we decided to do something like it. her car is already silver so i was just going to paint on top of that. i'll probably wait til spring time comes when i have more time in the day.
sik_kreations   +1y
--------------------------------------------

SolarX said:

i'll be just adding one color, probably a candy color just whatever color she wants and maybe minimum airbrushing to it to give it some depth. we was watching pimp my ride and some dude had his corolla in a silver with a red color. she liked it so we decided to do something like it. her car is already silver so i was just going to paint on top of that. i'll probably wait til spring time comes when i have more time in the day.

i wouldnt do a true candy unless u know how to blend a candy. i would look at house of kolor kbc brandywine or apple red. these colors are alot easier to touch up, but not a true candy.

if ur fast. u should be able to do it in a day.(shoot time, not prep)
rodandtruckdesign   +1y

sik_kreations said:

SolarX said:

i wouldnt do a true candy unless u know how to blend a candy. i would look at house of kolor kbc brandywine or apple red. these colors are alot easier to touch up, but not a true candy.

if ur fast. u should be able to do it in a day.(shoot time, not prep)

i def agree with sik on this one...unless you have plenty of experience with shootin and blending candy dont do it....use the kandy base from HoK....real kandy is a real monster to deal with.....HoK base is alot and i mean ALOT more forgiving.....i'm not saying you cant do it...i;m just saying you need plenty of experience to do it correctly and have a job you are willing to say you did it youself.....how about door jambs and underhood?...you painting these or leaving them silver?....if you decide to paint them it will be 10 times easier to match the paint on the outside by using the HoK......you said you were wanting to do some airbrushing on candy as well.....forget about trying to get it done in a weekend.....unless you are going to just do one small spot of airbrushing youre gonna have alot of time tied up before clearing....that's about it...try some test panels first...that way you know what your gonna end up with..( if you dont wanna spray the silver...go to a junkyard and pick up a bodypanel already silver....cheaper than buying a quart of silver)