threads
Page 2 of 3
Body work and Paint \  Painting in your own Garage...

Painting in your own Garage...

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 5708
replies 29
following 28

rodandtruckdesign   +1y
Edited: 12/7/2010 5:02:17 PM by rodandtruckdesign

i've painted different things in a home garage....from tanks for choppers to fullsize trucks...here's what i found out1 cover everything and i mean everything you dont want painted with plastic2 open garage door and put a box fan blowing out in front of it...if you have a window open it and use a furnace filter in it3 use a water hose to wet the floor to keep down dust....wet the driveway outside too....this keeps dust from blowing in4 blowoff and use tack rags between every coat of base and before spraying clear5 use water traps on your air hose...drain your air compressor...(you do that already dont you)6 wear a tyvek suit and hair net to keep hair out of your paint7 no matter what you do you will get dirt in your paint...so you are going to have to color sand and buff8 use the right reducer and hardner for the temp range in your garage....9 if you have bugs use a outdoor type flying bug spray an hour before you start....do this outside of shop....some are oil based and will cause fisheyes 10.......expect the unexpected11 try small panels or chassis parts first to see where you can make improvements12...now the legal....use a damn mask....yes it can save your life...this stuff is not good for you....if paint lasts outside 10 years...it can last inside your lungs the same time...dont pour thinners or old paint down any drains....dispose of properly...13...lucky 13...... these are just things i have done and i do when I am painting...it may be different for your situationbut most important is to have fun
post photo
96lincoln   +1y
my dad paints for a living and we have a shop at the house that he put filted doors up and a pull through industrial fan and he gets slick jobs out all the time. just gud prep technics, and patients, we have painted over a hundred cars in a single stall just fine. gud luck
Cyrus   +1y
Edited: 12/7/2010 6:55:29 PM by Cyrus

I say go for it in your garage, I just did my first paint job and it came out excelent, just do your home work on it. I did a car for a buddy of mine and guess what, I've already got two other people wanting me to paint theirs. You will never know if you are any good if you don't try that first time, if you do a good job it may make you some extra cash one day. I painted this car in the garage with the door up and plastic on the walls and air compressor outside with water trap between two runs of air hoses. I'm glad I took the chance, it was no Chip Foose paint job but it looked good to all my friends and got me some more work lined up. Plus if you do the work yourself you know no corners are getting cut. I had a coworker take his car to a "professional painter" and you can tell they rushed it, the paint was chipping at the door handles, mirrors, trim, and ect.. obviously didn't take the time to take as much stuff off before painting. This is the car I painted, I was happy with it.
post photo
post photo
n2bnlow   +1y
You can rent a booth. So you dont have to deal with all of the bullshit. You'll still need your equipment, gun, filters, tape, paper and crap. Disassemble as much as you can, and dont forget to check all masking before you spray.
kaoss   +1y
--------------------------------------------

Puddin said:

I did this once. Ended up high in the garage painting stick figures on the wall jumping into a pit of fire.

--------------------------------------------

Ha ha, that was some good times. And the devil was throwing stick figures into a pit of fire. Ah the wife was not happy when she got home!

post photo
midnightmike   +1y
hey adam, i painted my daily in my garage,i still got dust in the paint and some runs, mind you it was my first atempt ever at paintingi washed the floor, and cleaned eveything i possibly couldi used a furnace filter over an exhaust fan do move the paint fumes and paint dust out and to keep the side of my garage and fence cleani had water traps, drained the compressor, tyvek suit, mask, and soaked the floor before i paintedi really cant complain about the turn out, if i took the time and wetsanded it im sure it would look better but i was getting fed up not having a ride

heres what my make shift booth looked like

post photo
post photo
ven   +1y
Painted quite a few in my garage, main thing is prep the vehicle well, make sure you have a good clean (dry and containment free) air source and good ventilation in the space so you don't get a lot of fallout. I set my shop up with an explosion proof exhaust fan and I usually leave one door slightly open to create a decent draft. Also I like to paint during the day not only for increased cure times but morning and evening typically has more bugs flying around in the air that for whatever reason love the smell of clear...lol. And finally if you are planning to have a quality looking paint job you will most likely want to plan on wet-sanding and buffing the ride once it has plenty of time to cure, I like to wait at least a week. Hope that helps!
decivic   +1y
all my paint jobs were done in a garage. LOST CAUSE did my airbrush work in his garage years before he had a booth so bad ass work can be done in a garage:XL:
post photo
artsar   +1y
Edited: 12/9/2010 4:46:17 PM by artsar

OK well since there has been some pretty good responce to this I have one other thing to throw into this loop... Its -6C outside right now and its likely to get colder as the winter continues. How will this effect the drying times? I could put a heater in the garage... but I would have to buy that so I'd rather not.

As for air tank how much capasity would you guys suggest? I have an air pig or 2, but they are only 5 gal so I'd rather not use those.

Lastly how much paint would you suggest for an application like this? Right now I have...1 quart of blue1 quart of black1 quart of blending clear (for the blue pearl I have)1 quard of hardener1 gallon of clear1 gallon of reducer

it is all OMNI paint other than the blending clear and thats PPG

Would I need more coats of clear if I am going to wet sand the car?

Also this is for a Saturn Ion and it is already blue, just changed up the shade a bit. I want to paint it like my sig
frankie   +1y
my cadillac ,and first toyota where painted in a ome made paint booth made out of old billboards. and everywhere i took them no one would beleive it. if everthing is preped right and you know how to wet sand and polish you can have a like glass paint job. my skull truck was done base and clear in a profesional shop and graphics done in the garage and i dont ealy think there was much of a diference in the job exept the price.