Page 6 of 15
Ford Trucks \  Custom Explorer Chassis Build

Custom Explorer Chassis Build

Ford Trucks Make Specific
views 6160
replies 146
following 57

bodydropped85   +1y

are gona add any gussets to the cross member were it meets the rail?
slammedxonair   +1y

Ya know James I thought about it but after I thought about it for a couple min I really dont think it needs them because the crosmember is welded tolike 40% of the frame rail, on the bottom and most of the inside. If I use the torsion style brackets on the front then the gussets will probably be aother brace as well. But I don't think its going to go anywhere, its pretty solid, and the kit didn't even come with that extra boxing plate I added.
fknlowjeep   +1y

Brian, you should tell the guy that i will trade him an old 300 straight six that needs a rebuild for that pretty motor! damn that's a good looking engine!!
tuckinlugs06   +1y

mabe it was brought up but what about upper arms in the rear
slammedxonair   +1y

Was allready covered I think on this forum but I cant remember its on so many lol. But no upper arms its like a Jaguar setup. I do however still need to add the lower forward facing torque arms though. When I setup the rear bag brackets.
slammedxonair   +1y

Todays update: I formed and welded up the other sides boxing plate on the front crossmember and then metal finnished both sides. I also took the flap disk to some of the frame rails as well and wiped them down with wd40 to keep them from rusting.

post photo
slammedxonair   +1y

Spent a few hours tonight grinding the rest of the chassis to bare metal, then I wipped the whole chassis down with wd40 to prevent rust. I also bolted the rearend and front control arms back on. And started playing around with the bag placement.

post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
lamo1   +1y
Brian, John here, I was finally able to get onto the site over here in SWA. looking good, and the answer to the question with the engine is thank you but no thanks I will pass, I will keep the engine I have. I can give you the name of my engine builder if you like, I know he would be more than happy to build you one or even re- build that 300 for you.
slammedxonair   +1y

I spent the entire day today working on the chassis and trying to figure out how I want the bags to go. I adjusted the rear control arms so the wheels go negative now rather than positive. I also got the torque arms in and set them up to where they don't bind up so much with all the travel.

post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
tre5   +1y

am i missing something? where are the upper arms?