Page 5 of 7
Interior \  Fiberglassing

Fiberglassing

Interior Q & A
views 3761
replies 69
following 24

puddin06   +1y
oh by the way i was so high by the end of this is why i stopped last night because i wasnt thinking straight anymore haha
ranger302   +1y
Nice work guys. Just a reminder. MAke sure to allow enough room for the over lap of ur fleece/matt/ or finshing bondo and paint. Ive seen Alot of ppl spend countless hours building and finishing and couldn't get there pieces to fit back in there trucks. -//Dustin
puddin06   +1y
yea thats why i made so if i had to i could turn them upside down and they would still work. i hope so they should still fit there was plenty of room.
ahab   +1y
Once again, looks awsome. It looks like it will take minimal work to smooth that out. Looks like you have done this before. Somthing to consider though. When you are gonna glass the outside like that, make sure you leave the fleace that covers the subwoofer holes intact untill you finish glassing. Then when you are all done with the glass work you can just drop into the holes with a flush trim router bit and use the wood ring to trim out the fiber glass and fleace. Awsome work though.
puddin06   +1y
ah yea that would have been easier haha. thanks for the tip. and no i have never done it befor i just tried to get it all layed down and as smooth as possible
ahab   +1y
Man i wish people would post more buildups like this on here. People are always posting cool little builds like this on other sites, but for some reason nobody on here does any of this stuff. Very cool.
puddin06   +1y
oh i was going to throw this in there if anyone is reading this and planning on doing there own. i took a sander and sanded down all the corners and edges so it would have a more rolled look rather than being pointed.

on the glass i bought 2 yards and almost used it all. i just tore off chunks off it and stuck it on there and used somemore resin to make it smooth. that to me made it thicker than pulling it all apart and sticking it on.
kaoss   +1y
This is a really good thread. I think that it should be a sticky.
Lowered Depths   +1y
I feel that when making boxes, door panels, kick panels, etc, etc.... that wrapping the pieces in grille cloth over fleece help in the forming of the piece and you use 1/2 the amount of resin that you would if you were going with fleece. Because any fabricators out there know that you have to resin each side of the fleece to get the desired strength, before going to matting. Grille cloth is thin enough to maneuver where you want it and with only one coat you are ready for matting and/or dura-glass. That's just my opinion. I built a wall in my blazer and didn't have any problems with strength and saved money on resin, by only buying 20 instead of 30 gallons. yeah that's like 400 bucks!!!!
supravan   +1y
walter on the other door panel try and not leave any wrinkles in your material it causes you more work after it drys. and jacob when you apply the resin make sure it reaches tha wood underneath i saw on some areas that it didnt reach how do i know this well if you look back to your pics you will see color differences ob the purple like light and dark the dark means it soaked all the way thru and the light means it did not, and if someone is building a box or whatever i use the unknown material from wal-mart its cheap and if you stretch and staple 3 layers together at same time and have no wrinkles body work is very small and you have the stregth and if you need more stregth use trim edge or cross woven fiberglass on the inside so you dont mess with the outside if you dont want to, and if you lat it down nice and smooth you dont have to do any sanding on the inside. i dont use fleece cause when you apply resin it only gets the outside wet with resin and not the inside and that just means more resin on the inside. soon as i can find my pics of a couple of boxes ive done ill post them so you can get an idea of what you could do differently or what you did to cause this etc etc not sayin what you are doing is wrong im just tryin to help you so you dont have to work like a dog to get it done. i can build a fiberglass box and have it painted or whatever in 1 day from start to finish cause of the way i stretch my material it save bodywork time thats my 2 cents