Page 3 of 7
Interior \  Fiberglassing

Fiberglassing

Interior Q & A
views 3764
replies 69
following 24

ahab   +1y
I would not attemp to wrap a factory dash in the truck. You will have a mess. If you wanted to do this i would build a dash and build a consol. Then put them both in and bond them together in the truck to make is easier.
puddin06   +1y
what if i took the dash out and wrapped it then put it in the truck and then wrapped the console and then kitty hairded them together inside the truck.

i would like the look of all one piece.
ahab   +1y
Kitty hair is a good filler for holes or to make somthing ridige. But i wouldnt use it the bond a joint together. I would still matte and resin the joint.
severedmikey   +1y
a few things.
- your only using fleece to get a shape. that being said, ive used t-shirt material and actual t-shirts for the same thing. it works just as good as fleece and uses less than half as much resin. and it doesnt really matter if its thick because your just going to figerglass it from the back to give it strength anyway. (even if you use fleece or whatever you use remember that you need to reinforce it with actual fiberglass).

-it kind of sounds like you just want to smooth your dash and/or door panels. if thats the case and you dont really want to change the shape, then you dont need to fiberglass them. most people spray them with several heavy coats of primer or pcl and block them smooth. and paint them like you would any primered, sanded part. (of course this is a generalized statement and there is still quite a bit of prepping and what not involved)
puddin06   +1y
i already sanded down my dash i was just thinking that somehow molding my console onto it would be cool but i would also like to make the pieces of the dash all one. no glove box no airbag hatch ya know.
bagged4doorcivic   +1y
My plan was to add speaker pods to the bottom of the doors on my honda. One speaker pod for a 6.5" and the other for a tweeter and then I plan on leaving the rest of the door panel stock. So I thought that it would be best just to glass the whole door or is there a better way to this? Or should I do what Mike said and just spary them with primer then fiberglass the pods on?
SHAVED TOUR   +1y
I wasn't trying to be short earlier, sorry if it came off that way.

The best tool I would say to buy would a fiberglass rollers. Hands down it will save you time, produce a much much better product and the end. Always buy a couple of them, different sizes. US Composites!!!!

Just like sickntwisted said U can really use anything to make the shape, sometimes you have to just sit back and think a little longer, to take the best route wraping your project. I have used a t-shirt and skull, put the skull in the shirt, put rubber bands behind it, and dunked the whole thing in resin to get the shape. Then molded it into the console, and made it look like it was flying to window. Just take your time, that is the important thing. But I know I dont have tell anyone that on here lol Also if your resin starts getting to hard to quick(in ur cup) do not proceed to keep useing it, just bc the resin is thick, doesnt mean its strong.
puddin06   +1y
yea i would like the look of it all being one piece. but im not sure how to go about it with it all in the truck and now being able to secure it underneat the dash near the glass.
ahab   +1y
Your not gonna want to mold your whole stock dash like that. If something under you dash goes bad, you wont be able to remove it.

It is possible to make a pod for speakers and not have to smooth out the wholes door. You mask the door panel and build a glassed base on the panel. Then use the mold youve made to build a pod. The pod will have to secure to the door somehow after. Somthing like this:
http://www.diyautomods.com/forum/showthread.php?p=55
supravan   +1y
also when you stretch your material be sure not to pull it to tight on like a door panel cause after you resin it and the heat starts to build up it will curl up the panel some or even alot and then it want fit the way you want it to, if you use fleece or somethin stretchy make sure you know that it soaks up the resin good before you ably the resin cause resin aint cheap these days. but it all comes to what kinda look your looking for and where you want things placed like subs, amps, crossovers etc etc. and on your dash is there any padding? if so you need to take that padding off cause if you dont over time the heat will cause bubbles or cause it to crack or if someone pushes on it it will crack like a spider web. and if want to screw ur console down then find a spot that you can but some or most ppl dont they just build them to sit in place and use the weight of the console to hold it in place, but like someone said dont glass them together if it your factory cause what if somethin went wrong and you had to take dash out. just make them two different pieces but make the seam real small so its not noticable, but if you look around on the web you can find answers to any question you have about building or what to use but i hope this helps alittle