Page 2 of 7
Interior \  Fiberglassing

Fiberglassing

Interior Q & A
views 3778
replies 69
following 24

kaoss   +1y
You build wood rings and then support the rings with dow sticks. Sam has the circle jig for his router to do it with.
Uncle Fester   +1y
To secure you can use double sided tape, hidden screws, velcro. Just wander a store and your options are as endless as your imagination.Yes to a wooden ring for a sub and some type of support to keep it there while you glass. Just be careful if you wrap the matt around the ring it might make it too small for woofer.I used a spray glue and mat for mine due to the fact that my entire console was made of wood first.In the end you just have to give it a shot. My buddy Mike and I just sat down one day and started working on it. Once you get the mixing of resin right and a few under your belt the sky is the limit. I am now wanting to glass my whole interior and have to learn self restraint Good luck and any questions let me know but I am still a rookie myself.
bjscustombillet   +1y
First let me start by saying that a few months ago I hadnt ever messed with any type of fiberglassing. Since then i have made a set of Kick panel pods, a center consoule, sub enclosure, amp racks, and some transition pieces for my doors to the dash.

1. Check this site out. www.fiberglast.com their starter kits seem expensive, but trust me once you buy the bondo brand stuff and find out you like making parts it gets way more expensive in the long run.

2. The cheapest place I have found to buy fleece is walmart. I just by what ever is on sale.

3. When attaching the fleece you can staple or use 3M vinal top adhesive.
when using the vinal top adhesive make sure to glue it past where you resin stops. Otherwise what happens is the reaction from the resin softens the glue and things start to go really, really bad trust me!

4. As far as the speaker holes go i just fleece past the edge of the appropriate speaker size hole and then sand the fleece back the hole size once its cured.

5. when spacing the rings i just cut mdf strips and then cut them to the proper length. hot glue them in place emporarliy then screw them down before stretching the fleece

6. to keep the fleece from saging leave minimal long unsupported gaps.
you can use just about anything for supports. I like to use great stuff foam. kinda messy but it works. spary in the hole then just rough sand to your shape.

hope all this helps
l8tr
ahab   +1y
One thing that hasn
puddin06   +1y
has anyone ever molded the console into the dash and fiberglassed the dash at the same time???
bagged4doorcivic   +1y
Andrew what is grill cloth and where do you get it? Sorry for such a dumb question, but I never heard of it.
ahab   +1y
No problem. Grill cloth is the material they use to cover a speaker. You can purchase this stuff from any automove fabric supplier. Its very thin but also very strong because its woven. I have seen one peice consol and dash before. The problem is that it has to be molded and finished in the cab. It will be too big to get in and out of the cab in one piece unless you make the consol really short.
puddin06   +1y
what do you use to wrap it inside the truck? if fleece how do you get it to hold on if you cant staple it behind the dash???
granth   +1y
best material is polydex hands down. mad thin, absorbant, and stretchy as fuck. its 50/50 plyester/spandex.
bagged4doorcivic   +1y
Thanks Andrew. I will give that a try.