Page 1 of 7
Interior \  Fiberglassing

Fiberglassing

Interior Q & A
views 3748
replies 69
following 24

bagged4doorcivic   +1y
So I plan on fiberglassing my interior this winter. I plan on staring with my door panels first and then moving on and building a custom console. But I don't have much experience with fiberglass and just need some questions answered. I know that the questions my seem dumb but will help me out a lot. Any input would be great.

1. What material do you use? I have seen people talking about fleace , but what about the fiberglass cloth that they sell at walmart and other auto parts store, can you use that insted of fleace?

2. If you just use fleace do you just brush the fiberglass mixture to the fleace and just apply a couple of coats to the panel?

3. How do you get the fleace to stay in place do you staple it or do you use M3 glue?

4. How or what do you use to keep consoles in place? When I go to show I have looked, but I don't see any screw or anything holding them dowm. The consoles are just smooth as hell and look like they are just sitting place.
puddin06   +1y
Can i add a couple questions of my own along with it?

if you use fleece how do you keep it from dipping on a console frame where there is nothing behind it supporting it?

What all supplies do you need for this?
SHAVED TOUR   +1y
http://www.fiberglassforums.com/

Go to that web site!!!!!!! They have some good helpful hints, and great ideas. Also everyone on there is pretty nice. This may sound dumb, but your best way to find out how to do it, is just to get in there and do it, Everyone has their own tech to it. Just check out that website you wont be sorry. L8r
puddin06   +1y
yea i had been there just thought someone might have some insight on here.

bagged4doorcivic   +1y
Thanks Nicholas.

I don't care if anyone else has questions feel free to post quseions or "jack the thread" i'm pretty sure there are other people wondering the same thing but just won't ask. We are all here to help each other out.
corey0814   +1y
1. you can use either the fleece or matting, but the fleece is easier to stretch & manipulate. then it's just resin. i prefer a marine polymer, but any old fiberglass resin will work.

2. once your fleece is streatched across the framework in the general shape, you just apply the resin on top of it. 2-3 coats will be fine. then you scuff it with 36grit & just go over it with either kitty hair, or body filler (bondo). sand, prime, & paint as normal bodywork.

3. i've heard of people using glue, but i think it's easier & quicker to staple it. just make sure you're not stretching the fleece too tight as it will rip easy & that sucks when you're in the middle of a coat of resin & it rips off. that turns messy quick.

4. everyone has their own way of securing the pieces. most will screw the unit in from the bottom, backside, under the carpet, or between the seats. just anywhere that your fasteners won't show...you'll just have to put some of your own thought into that.

puddin - you can lightly support the weak area with paint &/or popsicle sticks & once the resin dries, you can easily break them off or rip them out...

hope this helps & good luck guys...post up some progress pics & feel free to ask more q's anytime.

corey0814   +1y
& nicholas is right, once you know the basics, it's nothing more than practice & personal preference

puddin06   +1y
thanks exactly what i needed to know from both sets of questions.

any other pointers always help if anyone has any.
bagged4doorcivic   +1y
thanks alot Corey. I have some extra door panels laying around for an s10 so I plan on fiberglassing those thursday and friday and seeing how difficult or easy it is and yes I will be posting pics and asking questions if I have any.
puddin06   +1y
what about adding subs to the console. what about the holes for the subs?

i know you just cut them out but how do screw the sub in and not see the fiberglass ending. do i just make them a little bigger to allow room for the fiberglass and just wrap it inside to so there is no edge.

does that make sense?