Page 5 of 5
Tools \  Grinders

Grinders

Tools Q & A
views 3178
replies 44
following 39

FADE2BLK94   +1y
I think it is hit or miss with any of them really. I got a Makita about 5 years ago and the damn thing burnt up with the fist six hours of use. I took it back in the same day and got a second one and it has been fine I abuse the hell out of it. A friend of mine has one of the $16 HF ones and he and I have abused it the same as my Makita and it has lasted the same amount of time.
90maz   +1y
I have 2 dewalts 1 milwaukee 1 crafsman 1 black&decker 2 orange HF 1 blue HF. I like them all but the HF ones are realy crapy.

jsondrops   +1y
i don't mind using the $18 hf grinder on sheet metal
dan48p   +1y
they warrantied the metabo but that put it out of service for more than a month.

i just picked up a two pack of dewalt grinders (4.5" 9amp model, side switch) for 99 bucks. i just couldn't pass it up, if it were the ones with the paddle switch i probably would have bought all they had left.

need to go back and ask about the extended warranty

also, i have a 4" craftsman grinder that i barley use because the wheels are too damn expensive. i use the 6" cut off wheels on my $17 grinder and pay 40 bucks for a box of 25 and the 4 inch ones that fit the craftsman are like 2.50 a piece.
tooleyhc   +1y
For work (minor sheet metal fab. Hanging commercial cooking hoods, ductwork etc) I use a Dewalt. It's ok. But I like my persomal Black And Decker Firestorm. I know it's supposed to be a pile, but it kicks ass for me!

And as far as flap disks/cutoff wheels/grinding wheels go, I just go to HF or Northern Tools and pick up big quantities for cheap. Cuz I go through them quick.