the rebuild...

Build-Ups General Discussions
views 7970
replies 155
following 71

Project_Overkill   +1y
Edited: 10/17/2007 5:59:44 AM by Kruznlow69

thanks seth.. cabs were 1500..

progress.. got top plates welded in, got a late start so i didnt get the fish plates in but ok, frame was a lil warm anyways.

the junction of the new/old frame is strong as hell even with out the fish plates!!!. we found a problem though. one of the guys stood on the end of the rail (12' out from welds) and we found flex in the coil pocket where its cut for bags (as would any fsc truck) when you trim the pocket it has to really weaken it. gonna have to re-inforce it somehow but that wont affect the rails.. jsut one more step on the build list.. can make a vid of the flex if anyones really interested.

pics..

left rail grinded

right rail just wire wheel'd

left rail and fish plate clamped. (damn that was a lot of shaping!

bought a new miller auto darkening helmet so i finally have my own now.. been using Chris's (buddy that i have shop with thats a superstar when it comes to auto repair (master ase cert.) and very skilled with all metal working was watching/supervising me) i'm still learning with welding but its awesome to have a good teacher. hopeing to grind the other side tommorrow and get the fish plates stitch welded in.. dont want to heat it up too much with those long beads..
splitdecision   +1y
Frame is coming along nicely. I am really enjoying watching this build, keep the pics coming.
Dj-Chuy   +1y
Steve, that shit is looking good bro... Can't wait to see it done.

KNDAlow   +1y
looks good, too bad it had to happen under those circumstances
FullSizeRST   +1y
build up is looking good man ..when you first started the frame (before you cut it) how do you know where to measure out for the knew mounts for the trainy, body ext.? and how do you make sure the front clip is completly square to the rest of the frame wiel welding? i didnt see a frame jig and i am just curious how to do it . i never seen a build up like this in person just in pics and mag. thanks
Project_Overkill   +1y
Edited: 10/19/2007 3:47:58 PM by Kruznlow69

when i started, i jsut had the frame up on stands. i got the main rails level front to back and across. then leveled across the front rad support mounts and the 1st cab mounts. (use can see the wood plugs with a center bolt i made to fit in the mount holes) then i took measurements from the 1st cab mounts to every pin including the bed mount holes. then measured for square and recorded that, then plumb'd (vertical leveling) a 3/8" rod in the dead center of each mount and made a mark on the floor and checked height of exist mounts. after i tripple checked all #'s i got out the plasma! frame is now a pile of steel. i made a bar to keep the rails parallel and spaced and a mount system to keep the put.. they will not move.. when i un bolted them thye kept position and just keeping the heat down welding in increments..

hers a pic of the rear mount b4 i welded it.
post photo
Project_Overkill   +1y
also when i got things level i then welded up my front contraption to jig up the front frame to keep it stationary b4 any cutting... works good.
Project_Overkill   +1y
heres my # sheet i made.. i know what all the #'s mean but someone could use it for reference to make their own..
Project_Overkill   +1y
Edited: 10/20/2007 12:51:18 AM by Kruznlow69

rails are now one with the front frame, got the fish plates welded in, ground down, and on to the next project. next is to start figuring out x-members, cab mounts, and rear suspension.. planning a tri-4link. no ideas yet for rear frame/susp setup though..

left rail 1/2 welded in

right rail 1/2 welded in

ground down and re-setting up driveline.
pugz   +1y
that thing is gonna be bad ass