Page 1 of 2
Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 \  Need help!!

Need help!!

Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 Yota Engine Yota Tech
views 1180
replies 11
following 7

loyota94   +1y
So I hop in the truck to drive it the other day, Like always it started. I put it in reverse and started to back up and it died immediately. When I tried to start it back, It was like the battery was low. When I tried to jumpstart same thing. I even put a battery from another vehicle in and same thing. I checked the starter and wiring and its good. Its like its got a major current draw. It will turn over like a weak battery sometimes. Sometimes it just clicks. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
baha   +1y
sounds like the starter solenoid is bad good news is they are really cheap
hlditdwn   +1y
Check your ground...I had the same problem and it ended up that I didnt have a good ground to the block...gotta new ground cable and problem solved
stll2hi   +1y
Yea, check your ground or the solenoid...sounds familiar.
loyota94   +1y
Isn't the solenoid built into the starter? If so I can cancel that out because I've taken the starter out and hooked it up to another battery and it was good
bdyota1   +1y
NO the starter solenoid is mounted on the inner fender and has a plug wire on it that runs back to your distributor. replace that assembly and it should fire right up. mine did anyways.
yodaforce   +1y

What? Plug wire? Wait, are you describing the coil and ignitor? The positive battery cable runs to the solenoid, and then from the other terminal on the solenoid to the starter.
loyota94   +1y
I have also found my positive battery terminal is getting hot. I have checked several areas of the wire but found nothing that concerned me. There is a fuseable link in the wire going to the fuse box under the hood. Could that possibly have anything to do with it?
yodaforce   +1y
If your cable is getting hot or melting the insulation, your starter is bad. Replace it.
truck action   +1y
Common problem,not enough current @ the starter trigger wire! And the solenoid is on the starter!
I posted the fix a while back both here & on Toyminis,it is installing a Ford solenoid on the firewall, the wire from the battery to the starter goes to one side with a 2nd wire from the same post to the starter,& disconnect the trigger wire, cut & lengthen it ,goes to the the other large post @ the new solenoid, & a new trigger wire (use the stock connector) soldered & shrink wrapped from the S-post to the starter.
This will fix the problem!