Page 1 of 2
Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 \  coolant problem

coolant problem

Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 Yota Engine Yota Tech
views 961
replies 10
following 6

toylowta   +1y
i have a coolant problem. every time i drive my truck i lose coolant its not leaking out from anywhere except the hose for the over flow bottle. i noticed one time when i was driving it where my hose points to it made it splash all over the front of my truck it has been like this for awhile an i can not figure out why its doing this. Unless it has to do with what ive done to the motor. can some one help me out on this. its about to drive me insane
truck action   +1y
Coolant leaving the radiator going to the overflow,Overheating.
Drive into any Toyota shop,have them stick the smog check wand into the water neck(reads hydrocarbons) if present you have a bad head gasket!!
They should do this for free.
m_i_zombie   +1y
Check your thermostat.
truck action   +1y
Thermostat wouldn't cause coolant loss,just overheating or not coming to running temp.!
toylowta   +1y
thanks guys. i have a electric fan on it when im driving it never gets warm. i dont think that the fan ever kicks on while driving. it always runs cool
m_i_zombie   +1y

If the thermostat doesn't open the coolant wont circulate, then when it gets hot enough it goes out the into the overflow. Usually one of the biggest factors of overheating.
truck action   +1y
Thank you for the correction!
toylowta   +1y
so i should maybe change my thermostat first to see if that may be my problam. if that is not it then i would be my head gasket
beyondstockyota   +1y
Well that could be a factor in over heating but you are telling us that it doesnt even get warm? How much coolant are you losing? does it constantly flow of the overflow tank? Check the lower right radiator hose that goes the the motor, its in a spot that it could get a kink and cause a pressure build up and flow out the tank... If its not showing it's overheating its not the thermostat and if you are losing coolant and its NOT always flowing out of the overflow then you probably have a blown head gasket. Pull the dip stick and see if its a milky color, watch to see if it blows blue smoke when you start it up in the morning.
idropdit (brandon)   +1y
like the others have already staed, yes, the thermostat will make it overheat if it isn't opening. if it isn't overheating, then the thermostat will not be the problem. i would really suggest on checking the coolant as well as your oil. if anything looks milky, it's your head gasket. i would really check into this, as it could cause you some major damage down the road.