Page 1 of 1
Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 \  Squeaky belt.

Squeaky belt.

Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 Yota Engine Yota Tech
views 606
replies 8
following 5

zip tyd   +1y
My buddy has a 95 Tacoma with a squeaky belt. Why is it squeaky? And how do you fix it?

I'm a straight up dumbass when it comes to engine stuff.
m_i_zombie   +1y
if its a serpentine belt its either
A. tensioner going bad $$$$
B. the belt is old and needs to be replaced $$
C. it has fluid on it from a leaking valve cover, power steering ......

Don't rely too much on belt dressing it wears off within a short amount of time.
zip tyd   +1y

Alright well that's good to know...thank you. How much $$$ we talking?
Couldn't he just tighten it up, and be done with it.
zip tyd   +1y
Bump.
m_i_zombie   +1y
it all depends on the tensioner, if its the spring loaded style then , no. If its the older mechanical/adjustable style like the 22r/e had then it can be adjusted.
zip tyd   +1y
MMMM-Kay. Thanks. I'll have to print this out for him.

I know nothing when it comes to this stuff, so maybe he'll get someone outta it.

Thanks again for the info.
yodaforce   +1y
I would try to replace the belt first (cheaper), and it's a good idea to clean the pulleys off between belt swaps wit some brake cleaner, thinner, or acetone with a rag. If the tensioner starts losing tension, it will start to move around alot while the engine is running (bouncing) so you can check it visually.
kdcgrohl   +1y
Without looking, I'm 95% certain that a 95 has micro-v belts that do not use spring tensioners, that means its either the belt(loud squeal) or a bearing in the tensioner(less loud squeak). The non-spring tensioners use a long bolt and are manually tensioned. The bearings are easy enough to swap and are available at your local parts house.
3tcrob   +1y

yeah they are manuel adjusted you can get some Wd40 or any kind of lube with a straw in it and squirt a littl on each belt till it goes away to fond wich one is makeing the noise

Also for future reference auto tensioners have a range mark on them to tell you when they go bad there is 1 mark on the part that moves and like a 1/4 space on the fixed part that is the range
Page 1 of 1