threads
Page 1 of 1
Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 \  do toyota pickup bend valves?

do toyota pickup bend valves?

Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 Yota Engine Yota Tech
views 672
replies 5
following 4

beyondstockyota   +1y
Just wondering if the 22re or r motors bend valves in the event a timing chain breaks or jumps? I believe mine broke, and my truck locked up. Just wondering what I'm looking at when I crack the motor open...
m_i_zombie   +1y
Usually no, but they have on occasion been known to bend a valve or two. A lot depends on how high the engine was revving at the time of the breaking. Best advice I can tell you is that you pull the head when your taking it apart to replace the chain and inspect everything.

Mine just jumped a tooth 184K. I'm debating about rebuilding it since it will be tore down for this.
beyondstockyota   +1y
ill do a 2jz gte before I rebuild the motor. Did yours lock up? My locked up and wont turn over... I know I broke the chain or even worse, a valve...
holcombe347   +1y
if you ditched a timing chain and a valve was on a down stroke you can bet that the piston smacked into it. the timing chain could have fallen into the oil pan and the crank could have picked it up... possibly why its all locked up. your timing chian didnt tick at all? usually the tensioner wears out before the chain just spontaneously breaks... you could rebuild that motor for 800 bucks if you did all the labor. hell you could just buy a long block already done for 1200. probably way easier, faster, and cheaper if you did all the labor.
m_i_zombie   +1y

Mine still runs, when timing is at 0 TDC its runs like shit, pings, no power. When I set the timing to 12 BTDC runs like a champ.

I'm gonna tear into it this week and order my stuff from engbldr. Hell a total rebuild is like $350 + machine work.
beyondstock   +1y
I could rebuild the motor myself but reality is, it will never make the power I want it to wit out loads of $ dumped into. so im going to do the swap, lay rocker and be fast. but if it just the chain with no more damage then ill fix it
Page 1 of 1