Page 1 of 1
Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 \  need some tips...

need some tips...

Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 Yota Engine Yota Tech
views 727
replies 7
following 6

smctoy   +1y
Ok...this past friday my truck died on me & refuses to run. This is what its doing/not doing...The truck will try to start, but after a few seconds its starts to spit then cuts off. The fuel pump was changed last year when I installed the motor & I just changed the fuel filter too. Ive been told that the ignition coil could be bad even though its putting out spark, but it may not be enough to keep the truck running. Ive got a new coil & Im going to replace that tomorrow while Im at work, but is there anything else that I may need to look at?? Thanks for any help.

Oh & if I let the truck sit for about 20 minutes it will try to start again then cut off. I noticed that the coil gets real warm after all that & is that normal? I was also thinking that if it was the fuel pump then it wouldnt run at all right??
yodaforce   +1y
Are you carbed, or FI? If you're FI, you should check the fuel pressure. This would require a guage to check. You may not be getting the minimum psi required. If you have a carb, it could be trash in the bowl, or adjustment problems. It could also be a vacume leak. What, if anything, happened before this problem started? As far as the coil, in my experience, it either works or it don't. Same with the ignitor. I have never had one "gradually" go out on me. It was always suddenly, and it would not work at all.
smctoy   +1y
Its FI & as for problems it was running fine when I dropped it off to have the toe set on the front, then my buddy called me & said it just cut off & wouldnt crank back up. Ive got a new coil & igniter that Im going to try tomorrow & if that doesnt work then Ill have the fuel pressure tested. Im thinking its most likely the fuel pump & thats going to suck!!
kdcgrohl   +1y
mass air flow sensor?
slammedtoys   +1y
pull a spark plug out and see what it looks like. If its fouled then it would be the MAFS if not then you know you have another problem. But pull a plug before you do all that work.
smctoy   +1y
Its fixed!!! It was a combination of bad fuel filter & ignition coil. Turns out the coil wasnt putting out enough spark & the filter was just plain bad!! I want to thank all of you that helped with the advice & if I can ever do the same for any of you just let me know! Thanks again...Donny
chopped~n~dropped   +1y
I kinda figured it had something to do with the coil, I had the same problem with mine too and I pulled a plug out and saw it was sparking(but the spark was yellow instead of blue) and I assumed it was the fuel pump because I could shoot starting fluid in the intake manifold and it would run but as soon as you stopped spraying it, it would die, But starting fluid also ignites alot easier than gasoline does.
phatboislim   +1y
i thought it was the fuel filter until u said u changed it out already...
Page 1 of 1