Page 1 of 1
Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 \  Im having problems starting my truck

Im having problems starting my truck

Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 Yota Engine Yota Tech
views 739
replies 8
following 3

switchhittin96   +1y
I just bought a new higher (160) amp alternator the 96 yota and a new redtop for it the battery has been arked out a few times on accident, but now when i leave it hooked up for a day and go out and try to start my truck and it doesnt start, i took the redtop out and put my old battery in and it started right up.

also, i wanted to check and see if it might be the alternator and i was wondering what would be a good way to test and see if somethings wrong with the alternator if i dont have any test wires or anything?

and also, i heard that while your vehicle is running, if you unhook the negative cable and the truck turns off the alternators bad, true?
nismorgan   +1y
while the engine is on, the alternator supplies everything therefore when you unhook the negative terminal, the car should still be running, if it shuts off this could mean that the alternator is bad, although this is not always the case, some cars, (not sure if our trucks do or not) require the use of a battery during engine operation simply to regulate the flow of current throughout the car. If the car does use this system, then removing the battery will cause a break in the circuit possibly stalling out the car. But...an easier way to test your alternator is to do an output test, get out your handy volt meter and probe the terminals while the engine is running, if its anywhere around 14.5 or so, then your alternator is working, if its at 12.6 and dropping...alternator aint workin. now you said that there was arking...what was arking?
switchhittin96   +1y
unfortunatel i dont have any test wires to test it, but i recently got this alternator and i was told i needed to do an upgrade of wires to handle the new high amp flow of the alt, so i have a 0gauge wire going from the battery terminal to the alternator and inbetween it is a 200amp fuse. and when i said i was arking, i made a really stupid mistake and lost the plastice spacer that goes around the alternator terminal so me being dumb used nuts and soon as i touched the positive terminal to the positive post on the battery it made a huge spark and im not sure if that messed up the alternator or not
zip tyd   +1y

Been there...done that. lol.
switchhittin96   +1y
did it ruin your your alternator?
nismorgan   +1y
I would suggest checking that 200amp fuse, and if thats fine, and still not starting...you gotta get that engine running to check the alternator, either that or bring it to like an advance auto parts or some place like that.

now you said it would start with a different battery, put that one in and then check the output of the alternator. In this situation, your voltmeter is going to be your best friend
nismorgan   +1y
I would suggest checking that 200amp fuse, and if thats fine, and still not starting...you gotta get that engine running to check the alternator, either that or bring it to like an advance auto parts or some place like that.

now you said it would start with a different battery, put that one in and then check the output of the alternator. In this situation, your voltmeter is going to be your best friend
zip tyd   +1y
Nah, It wasn't even my alternator. It was when I had my subs, and was running a monster sized fuse. One day my fuse blew (still don't know why), and attempted to use a soda can popper thingy. As soon as I inserted that bitch Ka-BOOM! It was the 4th of July. I was kinda surprised it didn't burn anything up.

I would take nismorgan's advice. That's what I would do...

Any luck yet?
switchhittin96   +1y
due to lack of transportatin right now (lol) im gonna have to wait to take the alternator out and take it to an auto store for them to check and see if its completely fried or not, if it isnt will they be able to fix it possibly? rather than having to go buy another 160 amp alternator :/
Page 1 of 1