Page 1 of 2
Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 \  Idle Surge

Idle Surge

Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 Yota Engine Yota Tech
views 997
replies 10
following 6

slammedtoys   +1y
I have recently been experancing intermittent idle surge. It has happenend in my 94 toyota pu for about two weeks now. Here is what has been changed prior to those problems.
-New plugs and wires
-New Clutch
-New PCV valve
-Relocation of battery
I changed the PCV valve in efforts to stopping the idle surge but that has not fixed it. The battery starter and altnator is less then one year old. The grounds and the power wires on my battery are fine i am not sure what else can be causing this problem. Could it be due to a vacumm leak? I would like some help in diagnosing this issue. Now for the backround
1994 toyota pu...22RE....130K original miles very very small amp used to power my 6.5s no other aftermarket electronics. Cold air intake with the MAF relocated but original wires still in tact. Idle surge is intermittent. Thanks in advance for your help
slammedtoys   +1y
also when it does bounce up and down i tap the gas to see if it changes it then it goes into high idle like and wont kick back down.
truck action   +1y
My 88 with a 22re,did the same thing, was not coming out of cold start,cause a bad thermostat!
holcombe347   +1y
did you check the alternator? my 88 did it one time when it went out. i guess the truck was trying to compansate for its power loss. but im sure you would know if it was bad.
patriotpop   +1y
I'm have the same problem. I've been trying everything to try and fix it to no avail. It's driving me crazy. This stuck on high idle is killing me with the gas prices the way they are. Need help also!!
slammed   +1y
I would check the coolant, I know when my truck was surging it was just low on coolant. Someone mentioned it might be the thermostat. I would also check that. I would almost garuntee it has something to do with the coolant system.
slammedtoys   +1y
your on top of your game slammed it was the coolant thanks man
slammedtoys   +1y
your on top of your game slammed it was the coolant thanks man
slammed   +1y
No problem, just glad I could help.

BTW: clean toyota
beyondstockyota   +1y
So the cold start caused the engine to rull on high idle? I've noticed the temp in my 93 yota not even coming close to proper heating conditions, way to cold.