Page 1 of 2
Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 \  84-88 22r fuel issues..burning too much gas

84-88 22r fuel issues..burning too much gas

Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 Yota Engine Yota Tech
views 3528
replies 10
following 5

phatboislim   +1y
a guy i know(who btw is having issues trying to get his SN established on this forum) is having issues w/ his fuel. its burning gas real bad. he said basically a 15mile trip from a fuel tank, reaching his destination will leave him at a 3/4s of a tank of gas left. even if i was makin serious money, that would still hurt me to see that needle move like that..

i dnt know what else to tell him to chk for, im almost thinking it has something to do w/ the carb. he said he changed the fuel filter, and did his tune-up but is still burning gas outa the a$$..any help would be appreciated
opsinpimpin   +1y
thanks bryan for gettin this to finally work.but yeah im havin a problem with gas.the truck is usin way to much.one day i put in 3/4 a tank.drove 49 miles an was down to a 1/4 a tank.iv did a full tune up an fuel filter.anyone have any ideas?
phatboislim   +1y
no prob..
3tcrob   +1y
Adjust your Idle mixture and check you aren't loseing any fuel somewhere, Check the return line to the tank make sure it doesn't have a hole in it or something
opsinpimpin   +1y
how do i adjust my idle mixture?
3in2out   +1y
Also, check what your actual MPG is.
toyotaman89   +1y
gauge screwy?? mine is, If i fill it full, and drive like 20 miles im on 3/4 tank and at about 80 im at 1/2 tank, it then goes very slowly down from there...When the needle finally hits the red mark on the gas gauge i can still drive about 90 miles before im OUT of gas. Throw a 2 gal can of gas in the bed, fill it up, record your milage and drive it till it dies!! this will let you know whats really going on!

oh yeah...

P.S. the gas can is to get ya back to the gas station...lol (duh)
phatboislim   +1y
i asked him about him losing gas, he said he didnt smell any gas so thats not the problem..how would he go about adjusting his idle misture??
opsinpimpin   +1y
yeah i dont know whats up with it.ima mess with it a little bit today an see whats goin on.but where this mixture thing i can adjust?
3tcrob   +1y
You are looking at the Carb on the Pass side of the truck you should see 2 screws, They may have plastic limiter caps on them if the idle screw and the mixture screw has never been touched just take a pair of pliers and twist and break the caps off the screw towards the front of the truck is the idle mixture screw depending on what year it is it should be adjusted to the following from turned all the way down
79 1 3/4 turns
80 1 1/2 turns
81-82 2 1/2 turns
83 4 turns
84 4 1/2 turns
85-up 3 1/2 turns
Let me know if you need some more info