threads
Page 1 of 2
Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 \  i want a motor and a turbo!!

i want a motor and a turbo!!

Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 Yota Engine Yota Tech
views 1992
replies 14
following 4

dead_red88   +1y
Ok I have heard that the toyota mr2 turbo motors bolt up to my 88 22r is this true. second if not what motor can i put that bolt directly to my motor mounts that has a turbo. and will i be able to run my stock transmission? I have the 5spd trans in my 88. And in fact if there is no dream like this where can i find a turbo kit for my toyota.I woke up today wanting a sleeper how can this dream become reality with direct bolt ups. " bolt ups" I think i just made a new phrase. back on topic i would love to do this to my toy, I just think it would be nice to do a 1/4 mile in my lil' truck in under 13.5 secs. I am not much of a speed or horsepower freak, like i said i want a sleeper and would like for my yota to run somewhat close to my 67. it is just weird driving a 360 horsepower truck and then getting back into my 90 horsepower truck on monday-friday! I would love and appreciate and help and directions!
holcombe347   +1y
im not sure about the mr2 motor fitting but there is a guy on here parting out an 86 toyota extended cab with a 22r-te motor in it. it was a stock turbo motor from toyota that was put in some of there trucks. however, those motors are kinda hard to find and running for a decent price. the guy who is selling this motor (ill look for the thread and post it up here in a minute) is a really nice guy out of pa. the motor runs and only has i think if i remember correctly 86k miles on it. the turbo was replaced about 11k prior. from what i hear those motors produce around 125-130 hp but can be tuned to produce more. the turbo is kinda small only pushing about 5-7 lbs. of boost but it can be upgraded. i was going to swap the motor in my truck from a 22r to that turbo but its my only car and everything has to be replaced to accomodate the efi system so i didnt have that much time to have my truck down. hope that helps you out.
dead_red88   +1y
what route woulf i need to go to produce over 150hp
holcombe347   +1y
here is that thread i was telling you about...there is a link in there to see pictures of the truck as well as a list of everything that has been done and whatever.

dead_red88   +1y
thnx!!!!!
holcombe347   +1y
bolt on wise you could probably do a slightly bigger turbo, intake, exhaust, electronic ignition better plugs n wires would prolly get you close to that. i know toyota built those motors pretty beefy so the motor will take a little more boost than what the stock turbo produces. i wiouldnt reccomend running like 16 lbs. to it but 10 or so should be fine. i found this website on the internet when i was going to do the swap on my truck...ill find it for you real quick...it tells about the 22r-te motor and some of the things that can be done with it was well as tons of little helpful notes.
holcombe347   +1y
here is that site i was telling you about. it explains all about the turbo system and a bunch of other stuff...you could also contact the guy if you have any specific questions about doing the swap he is a pretty knowlegable guy.

dead_red88   +1y
uis there a kit to bolt on a turbo to my motor!!
holcombe347   +1y
yeah i think lc engineering makes one...im not 100% sure on that though. you can check out there web site at . also, about the transmission thing....the trans with the 22r-te motor is automatic so if you want to use your 5 speed the 22RE blocks were all the same from 85 and on, so you can use any transmission that will bolt up to a 22RE. one thing that is different is that the 22RTE comes with a different clutch
and flywheel, as the clutch is larger in diameter (236MM vs. 224MM for
stock 22R/RE, if I recall correctly). So you'll have to use the correct clutch for
your flywheel/transmission.
dead_red88   +1y
thnx!!