Page 3 of 4
Yota Lowering \  got a "z" question

got a "z" question

Yota Lowering Yota Suspension Yota Tech
views 2209
replies 34
following 12

stll2hi   +1y
But what about the engine crossmember?? Or is it drug so much it lays even with the frame now??
twisted minis   +1y
No, you have to Z it. Period. You can get close to laying flat by cutting off about 3/4" of the cross member and making a new engine cross member. But it's not truly flat, and I consider it ghetto. It's just forcing your suspension to cycle up further, which realistically you don't want. The less your suspension has to cycle past it's designed travel range, the better your truck will ride, handle and drive. Z'ing helps with this too, and will let you truly lay flat.
baha   +1y
Here these pics will help, these are from my rebuild thread. One thing you have to remember is if you are basing your measurements off of a concrete floor, concrete is not flat, these are based on using a flat table with 1/2" plate steel. I was incorrect stating 1.5" is needed, I had forgotten that I raised it an extra .5" so I could plate the bottom of the engine crossmember.

oldsklminitrk   +1y
I still disagree with this....my lays flat frame and no z is done to it.And no It hadnt been drug through.....Id did relocating and all and never z'd my frame....Infact my Datsun isnt z'd and it lays flat frame too,it basically has the same setup as a toyota.
baha   +1y
I guess your year frame is different than the 1991? This is laying the frame on a flat table, concrete is to wavy.

The mazdas are supposed to lay with out a Z, and they are similar too as you know.
oldsklminitrk   +1y
I know I just did other stuff to make it lay flat frame because I wanted a factory hood....I could have z'd but I would be able to have a 3in body drop on the truck and still run a factory hood.
baha   +1y
I guess you could section the engine cross member an inch, that should work also. I kinda wish I would of done that now since I have my frame upside down on my table. oh well.

When is the next show for you Rodney? Are you coming to Southeast Showdown?
oldsklminitrk   +1y
Yeah Ill be there in the Datsun probally.....Im on the hunt now for a Subrau WRX.....my yota is going all wheel drive so yall wont see it for a while....Im selling my engine too if anyone wants it.
twisted minis   +1y
Datsun frames don't hang down below the rest of the frame like a Toyota. I did an 85 Toyota, and had to Z it 1.5 inches to make it lay flat. I just dropped the motor back down. You can still run a stock hood with a frame Z.

I have done every other way out there, cutting the bottom off, sectioning the crossmember (causes steering issues if you do not address it), and I still think that a frame Z is the only way to go. And I still think it's less work than sectioning the crossmember, and moving the steering up too.
obey   +1y
i have a 93, Zing would work best for me and let me run a stock hood right?