Page 1 of 2
Yota Audio Video \  tach installation

tach installation

Yota Audio Video Yota Tech
views 1432
replies 12
following 7

ogtoy   +1y
What's up everyone! I just got a auto meter tachometer. I was wondering if anyone could give me step by step directions to install it in my truck I have a 93 pickup.

All I know is the ground and power wires. There is a green and white coming out. Also the small brown and orange wire must be connected in a certain way to configure for a 4 cylinder (22re)

Any help will be appreciated..
smctoy   +1y
Very simple...just ground it to a good location & then you know youll need to have a power source lol! On the 4 cylinder cars/trucks all you need to do is run the green wire to ignition coil-positive side. The other wires are for V6 & V8 model trucks. Ive got the sr5 cluster in my truck so I didnt need to run a tach, but thats how I hooked my AutoMeter tach in my Eclipse.
ogtoy   +1y
"On the 4 cylinder cars/trucks all you need to do is run the green wire to ignition coil-positive side."

THIS IS WHAT I DO NOT GET.what does "ignition coil-positive side" mean?

there are thicker red, black, white, and green (about 16 ga) wires coming out
there are also 2 small orange and 2 small brown wires (about 22ga)

i know how to connect the +red and the -Black i just dont know where the other wires go..
lowboytrucks   +1y
on the coil there is 2 green cases with black caps one of witch is the positive remove the cap and plug the wire in to it...i used a male end on the wire. as for the orange and brown i dont no...
ogtoy   +1y
thanks for the help.
i am looking at the coil and i dont see 2 green cases but i see a green wire.

k so far i got the black, red, and almost the green wire taken care of..

what do i do with the white wire coming out of the tach??
smctoy   +1y
As long as youve got power to it, its grounded & you have the green wire running to the coil then it should be working. Just tape off those extra wires & not worry about them...I used some wire loom to cover it all up & look neat!
3tcrob   +1y
The 2 small wires on the back of the tach orange and brown get cut, to make the tach work on a 4cyl motor if you leave them connected it wont read rpms right, and the white wire should be for the light red is switched 12v black is ground and green goes to neg side of the coil

from autometer web site

1.) Check connections related to the signal wire (Green wire in most cases). Is the Green wire connected to the proper location (i.e. the negative side of the coil, or tachometer output from an after market ignition)? For further information about Tachometer signal location on your vehicle please see the Installation Information or Ask a Question sections of our website.
ogtoy   +1y
ok im gonna try and find the negative side of the coil. thats what i havent found yet...
twisted customz   +1y
hmm, I was thinking of installing a tach on mine but Im not sure where to mount it or wut size. Lets see what you guys got.
moneyhungry   +1y
thinkin about putting a tach in mine as well. when you find the green neg, take some pics and show us exactly where its at. i just dont want a the 5" "clock" on my dash. thinkin about the 3" on the a pillar.