Page 1 of 2
Yota Audio Video \  Audio Components

Audio Components

Yota Audio Video Yota Tech
views 1665
replies 12
following 2

twisted minis   +1y
Well, I know virtually nothing about how stereo components go together, and whats best for this and that, so I have a few questions. Within the next month or so, I'll be assembling the interior for my truck, buckets, console, stereo stuff, etc. Will be building a lot of stuff. Now, I have a smaller cab than the 89-95 style 'Yotas. Don't know about the 84-88, never sat in one. So, I'm not sure I can fit two subs, but I'll sure try.

Now, my question would be this. I have a JVC head unit, and two JVC 5 1/4" speakers. I'm looking at some JVC subs too, that I like.

# Recommended RMS Power: 300W
# Peak Power Handling: 800W
# Impedance: dual 4 ohms
# Size: 10 inch
# G Funk Signature Series By Warren G.
# Woven Glass Fiber Cone
# Rubber Surround
# Rubberized PVC Mounting Gasket
# Black Polycotton Spider
# Cast Aluminum Basket
# Flared and Vented Pole Piece
# Vented Lower Basket
# Dual 4-Layer Voice Coils
# Large Gauge Wire Terminals
# 62 oz. Magnet Structure
# Mounting Depth: 5.44"
# Rec. Sealed Box Dims: 1.00 - 2.50 cu.ft.
# Sensitivity: 88 dB
# Frequency Response: 25-1,500 Hz

I'm wondering what kind of amp I would need to power these. And would I need more than one? Or can I run everything off of one amp? I'm not picky on the brand of amp, but want to know what kind of output I will need. How many channels. Anything you can school me on.

Thanks
Seth
johnny5   +1y
well as far as an amp goes it depends on what size or amparage you get. like you could run 2 500 watt subs or you could run 1 1000 watt sub and the sound would be the same.

i have 2 alpine type e's with the same power ratting as those jvc and i have one kennwood 1000 watt amp and it hits hard as hell. my back glass shakes lol.

oh and its all about the size wire you get too. bigger the better. i have 4 gauge wire for my amp and its pletty. a lot of people don't think about the wire size is that big of a deal but it is.

well i hope this helps and good luck
twisted minis   +1y
Thanks! So, you're saying with a 1000 watt amp I could run both and it would be fine? And also power the speakers up front as well? How many channels will I need? Would a 1400 watt Phoenix Gold be an alright choice? A few friends swear by them, and I can get them cheap... Like $150 or so.
johnny5   +1y
oh yea that be fine, if you bridge the subs they will hit harder but its up to you what your preface is but either a 2 or 4 channel would fine, 2 if you bridge and 4 if not
twisted minis   +1y
by bridging the subs, what do you mean? Linking them together? Then a 2 channel sounds better.
johnny5   +1y
bridged means that you use one positive and one negative from each side, like use the positive left and use the negative right tie both wires from the subs together and put them in those slots. i just use my amp for the subs not the 5 1/4 speakers up front because my head unit puts out enough to power those, i have boston acusits ratted at 150 watts rms and they sound awsome, hell those little speakers cost more than my subs lol. but if you want a 4 channel so you can hook all of your speakers into it than you can do that, but its all about what you want
twisted minis   +1y
Well, my head unit could probably power the JVC speakers then. Can't remember what they're rated at, but they're not huge. Thanks for the help! I understand it all a little more now.
johnny5   +1y
no problem dude thats what im here for lol
twisted minis   +1y
They're 140 watt. So I should be fine for running them off the head unit.

Do you have a diagram, or a picture of the way yours is wire up? I'm still not 100% sure on the bridge deal.

Sorry for all the questions.
johnny5   +1y
on most amps there a little diagram of to do it but i will get a pic for you