Page 2 of 3
Toyota Pickup Projects \  84 Toyota single cab short bed

84 Toyota single cab short bed

Toyota Pickup Projects
views 5097
replies 22
following 7

framescr8pintoy   +1y
Damn that's nit a bad deal especially with that new bed, someone will get a good deal with this
nevadajh   +1y
So its been a while since I posted last. I decided to keep my truck, the only reason I wanted to sell was because I was in the process of buying a house. Thanks to the recent economy prices were alot cheaper so I didnt need to sell after all.

Anyways I havent really done much with it except for lowering it a few inches. Only torsion for now but I am saving my coin for bags. I did have to replace the timing chain cover due to a crack, water pump, and the radiator. Spent alittle time cleaning the motor compartment. Still need to do under the hood! Pretty clean for an 84 though. Ill post some more soon.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

nevadajh   +1y
So today I am beginning the body drop of the bed only for now. I am going to maintain the stock floor but not the bed sides. So while I am going through this process I will do my best to photo as I go and give a brief description. This is my first time, I have done a ton of research so I am confident I will do this without to many issues. I am also not above constructive criticism so if you see me doing something I shouldn't please feel free to chime in.

So first I removed the inner bed sides (mine are the bolt in ones), the tail gate, and removed the bed from the truck.

Next I placed the bed upside down on jack stands, drilled out the 2 spot welds (1 on each side) that holds the bed sides to the panel behind the cab. Once those were drilled out I ran a piece of tape to mark were I needed to cut to remove the cab panel from the floor of the bed. Once this was cut I unbolted the six bolts (3 per side) that attach the panel to the bed sides and removed the cab panel.

Now that the cab panel is removed now I am removing the mounting tabs that attach the inner bedsides to the bed. I plan on making new bedsides when I am finished. This step is taking a little time because I am grinding them down as I go. I also wanted to say that "so far" I am only using basic tools, nothing fancy. Here are a few pics and I will post more when I get a chance but for now I am off to work (my real job):verdict_in:.

nevadajh   +1y
Today I removed the floor from the bed. All I did to do this was make a line around the edge of the floor as close as possible to the bed sides. Once I was happy I cut along the line and removed the floor. After I had the floor out I used my grinder with a flap disc to remove all of the sharp edges and clean things up on the bed sides. I also bolted the front cab panel back on to the bed sides to give it some support and not twist things up while I work on it. I have attached a few pics of what was done today.

These pics show how things looked after I cleaned it up with the flap disc.

Hopefully I will get more done in the next few days and I will continue to post what is being done.
nevadajh   +1y
Not much progress done today. I was originally going to keep the stock fender wells but now I am going with custom tubs with the stock floor. I was looking on the net at other trucks with the stock tubs and just felt my bed needed a little something more. Hopefully tomorrow I will get the raised mounts made (7 inches) and trim the bed floor to fit up front near the cab panel.

nevadajh   +1y
Today I made the bed mounts, not really that difficult just some 2 inch tube cut to length and some washers welded on the ends. The pic only shows 4 on the truck but I made 6. They are currently 7 inches tall and will be cut down when I bodydrop the rest of the truck. Still have some trimming to do on the bed before I start to weld it back together. Measure, measure, measure, cut, weld. Also my 18 in. Lexus wheels are getting the center bore machined to fit the truck then off to get powder coated. I will post pics when I get those back.

another aussie   +1y
sweet build man. sounds like some good plans too
nevadajh   +1y

Thanks!
nevadajh   +1y
Today I removed a small lip from the inside of the bed rails. This is done so that I can have a flush surface to weld my 1x2 steel tube to. The 1x2 will also be used as a support for the bed floor across the back of the floor near the tailgate, side support of the bed, and a surface to weld the inner bed sides to. I took some pics, not very interesting but gives you an idea what I'm talking about.

Here is my buddy Magoo, guarding my 1x2 I picked up today

nevadajh   +1y
Finished up welding and cleaning the bed mounts today, and thought I would have some fun on see how things looked so far.

Please keep in mind that the bed is just sitting there and that nothing has been fitted or welded yet. The bed floor is sitting 7 inches higher which is were it will be when finished.