Page 2 of 8
Toyota Pickup Projects \  Sunset Joe's 85 Toyota

Sunset Joe's 85 Toyota

Toyota Pickup Projects
views 8099
replies 76
following 19

twisted minis   +1y
Well I have a set budget for this project, so it was supposed to be mostly MIG. And since it's out of commision for about 2 weeks, it will be mostly TIG because I have no other choice. I am trying to borrow my firends 175 though since he doesn't use it much.
layedout72   +1y
are the rods and gas really that much more than a spool and 75/25?
twisted minis   +1y
Simple answer: Yes, TIG costs 3 times as much to run as MIG.
twisted minis   +1y
And I don't think that it is a bad thing to TIG everything. I would actually prefer it, because I enjoy it more. But this project was meant to be done on a semi low budget, which meant there would not be much TIG work. Since TIG takes more prep time, and more welding time, the project is also taking longer. If you have not done TIG welding, it is really hard to comprehend the time involved.
smctoy   +1y
progress looks awesome Seth
macdave06   +1y
Overall I'd say TIG is better, just simply in weld quality, I wish I owned one. I could see why you'd rather use MIG on a budget, though, one spool lasts forever. I can imagine rods dont last you too long.

BTW seth, my front suspension is all together. thanks again for the control arms.
twisted minis   +1y
I'd like to see it now that you're all done.

Yes TIG weld quality is definitely better, but not always necessary.

TIF wire actually last longer, because MIG feeds the wire into the weld much faster. Hence the larger welds. Mig probably uses gas 3 times as fast as TIG, but TIG uses gas 3 times as fast as MIG because it is a slower weld process. It's almost a trade off, but my Argon costs a lot more, in a larger bottle, than my mix gas does. And I still use the larger bottle 3 times as fast.
macdave06   +1y

Makes sense I guess. I've never looked at the cost of just straight argon cause I use 75/25. I think once I get the toy driving and start working on my other truck I'm gonna start saving for a TIG. I wanna be able to do aluminum, which I can convert my MIG to do, but on anything with thickness to it you have to tail in rather than just starting your weld.

I have a project thread up on here for the toy, but I only have pictures in my phone and no way to get them to the computer. I'm gonna see if the gf will let me use her camera to go take some pics of it tonight.
twisted minis   +1y
Built a gas tank mount. I had Drew do the rear cross member. I just drew out what I wanted and let him go at it, I like the way it turned out, and the tank tucks into it really well.
thread post photo

thread post photo

I added some gussets to the front cross member.
thread post photo

Also built a tank mount, and a compressor tray.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

Everything was just sitting there for pictures, but when bolted down the compressors are straight with each other.
xtotalanarcoix   +1y
did you make the steel with the flared holes in house>? trucks coming along nice