Page 7 of 11
Toyota Pickup Projects \  PunisheR YotA

PunisheR YotA

Toyota Pickup Projects
views 12905
replies 104
following 14

n2bnlow   +1y
I don't recommend you weld steel to the round crossmember to drag it. That crossmember is only mounted to the truck with 4 short bolts. I have personally seen a truck dragging that crossmember, and the bolts snapped off, the crossmember flew back, punctured the gas tank, and popped a tire. Its a bad idea.
Don't forget about everyone else on the road when you are considering not so safe modifications. Like your "mono leaf". Another bad idea. I'm speaking from experience on this one. I ran a mono leaf back in the day for 1 week, and one snapped in front of the axle while i was driving down a steep grade with nowhere to pull off. Although you can take the smallest leaf spring and turn it upside down and put it on the top of the stack, then bolt them back together. This will give the set up more strength, and you will still be low.
Every time you think you have a cheap way to do something, think it out real well. There is a good reason all of those companies sell aftermarket parts.
Just my $0.02
2thpic   +1y
well my day is kinda crappy so fare.
1st, my youngest son was sink on the bus so i had to turn around on my way to work to get him off the bus and take him home. that wasn't to bad
2nd, when i was rolling down the drive way i guess i was a little bit to low.

3rd so when i was driving back to work i noticed about 3/4 the way there some smoke behind me, i guess that rock put a hole in my oil pan. so at lunch time i'll be figuring out how bad and what it will take to fix it. bummmmmmer
2thpic   +1y
o btw, I've been running a mono for almost a year now and no problems at all. not to say that some peps haven't had problems with theirs but my is holding up just fine. as fare as the drag bar, it sparks like a mad b!tch and bolts hold up. after all they are grade 8 not cheep autozone bolts. also i got some titanium drag block for the back. I'll be installing them when i get the bed off and the 4 link done. I"ll be looking like a Christmas Tree going down the highway.
n2bnlow   +1y
Have fun with that.
vegasyota94   +1y
i mono leafed mine for about a year... then i went to bags and a body drop.. got sick of bouncing all the time.
2thpic   +1y
hay Vegas, you ever seen a body drop with out cutting out all of the floor board and relocating it?
What I'm thinking of is cutting out just the area right above the frame and then drop it. Once done then box over the frame.
granth   +1y
yup, its called "channeling" that's how a lot of old hotrodders got real low in the early days.
vegasyota94   +1y
yes, i was going to do that to my truck but i didnt. i just cut the top off, and cut the floor and dropped it 4.5 inches. lol
2thpic   +1y
has anyone done this recently so i can get an idea of the hows and what issues i might run into.
2thpic   +1y
ok, well i had some issues last week.
i was riding low and a manhole was higher then i thought.

it ripped the cross bar out and hit my trany. pan and put a big hole in it and smashed the metal routing tube inside. luckily it didn't break the trany at all.
So as it sets now....

i pulled the bed off sense it's down and now it gives me a good time to do all the fig. for the 4-link.