threads
Page 1 of 7
Max Suspension \  sas (straight axle swap)

sas (straight axle swap)

Max Suspension Max Tech
views 14631
replies 61
following 9

metalbender   +1y
hi gang ive got a 87 d50 with 3" bodylift, ive cranked the t bars, im runnin bfg at's. my problem is when i cut my wheels at times my tires still hit my fenders, resulting in chunks missing from my tires and bent fenders. for me cutting my fenders is not a option, i dont like the look of a truck all hacked up!

ive gathered up a set of axles from a waggy dana44 front amc 20 rear posi's for both, and a full size chevy d44 housing which i cut down to fit the waggy shafts. this configuration will let me do a spring over instead of spring under.

i also have a 350 sbc with a tpi setup out of a camaro gonna run a speed density setup on it. a sm465 4 speed out of a 1 ton truck with a np205 which i plan on twin sticking. i have another frame from a truck i bought for parts, ive already cut the ifs out of it and added a few more leaves to the back. im looking at gaining 9-12" in the suspension. and run 35-37" tires

im hoping that somebody has tackled this before and took pics, im in the idea stage on what i want to do with the front. leaves v.s. leave springs. this is my daily so thats the reason for another frame, i can build it then switch my cab and bed in a weekend. im gonna take pics and try to figure out how to post em, im a little computer stupid, in a effort to help someone else in my situation. i welcome all ideas and comments or questions. in a effort to help each other out
texasfittys   +1y
sweet man...ill see if i can get some pics of mine to maybe help with some ideas, my truck ended up with almost 24" of lift after the sas and 38" super swampers...if you want the pics ill try to get them its no problem
metalbender   +1y
thanks man it would help im not completly clueless on this but just aint figured out the direction im going to take it yet (4 link or springs) so some pics and ideas are definatly welcomed
texasfittys   +1y
no problem man, i think i said before i got plans on goin with coil springs...this divorce and custody battle has me strapped for cash and i gotta stop my business so she cant take it from me anyhooters when i get back over to the shop ill snap some pics of what i got now and get them up for ya..
metalbender   +1y
awesome thanks!
metalbender   +1y
well my truck decided to drop the clutch last night, havnt got under it yet. im hopin its somethin stupid. so looks like i gotta get to work on this thing. im gonna pull the truck in the shop and start investigating, if its the clutch expect to start seein pics of my build. wasnt looking for it to go down this fast, oh well sounds like life to me.
texasfittys   +1y
that sucks dude...hopefully its just the cable
metalbender   +1y
no such luck tex, the throw out bearing was in 4 pieces, pressure plate was trashed, and the disk was in 30-40 pieces. i also found a nice new groove cut in my bell bout 1/8" deep, not enough to do nothin but its there. got the motor back in but its still not right, guess ill pull it out tommorrow AGAIN!!! i did add a few nice new parts ive been savin for my build though,figured y not since i was there. i got alot of pics of the carnage and a few of my truck now i gotta figure out how to post em on here. im better with a hammer than i am with a computer.
texasfittys   +1y
that blows man...hope you get it all fixed up, i havent figured out the whole gallery thing so ill be no help there
metalbender   +1y
well it goes from bad to worse.tore the motor back out tonight found a busted front bearing retainer in the trans. i got that kinda luck! guess ill weld it up tommorrow, but being a cast part im not gonna put alot of faith in it staying put very long. im going to try to weld it put the motor back in and limp it around till i can get my frame built. at least i wont have to drive the ol ladies mini van but for a couple days, that'll put my daily back on the road. gotta figure out the pic thing!