Page 1 of 1
Ranger Engine \  Ignition problems?

Ignition problems?

Ranger Engine Ranger Tech
views 1180
replies 4
following 4

sparkranger   +1y
So Friday night, Im walking back to my truck after killing hours at the mall. I go to turn the key and only have power. I go to the point where it would normally start, and I have nothing. It did it a few times. I called a friend and we managed to jump the solenoid to get me home. He said the solenoid wasn't getting power?

It started right up the following morning.

Now, yesterday, I was planning on getting gas. I go to start the truck, expecting that it wont start and on the way back from turning the key (bringing the key back towards me), it caught it and started. Leaving the gas station, it happened yet again. Pops came and bailed me out.

Now I just got back from buying an ignition switch (thing on the column). Replaced it with a brand new one...and I still have nothing.

Anyone know the deal? Know what to troubleshoot with this? Im lost and kind of need info quickly.

Thanks
bodydropped85   +1y
did you replace the key cylinder or the switch on the column directly in front of it? the one my 85 fell apart while driving and the one in my old 88 fell apart sitting in teh shop when i was putting a stereo in it. ull need a TP27 (tamperproof torx) to take it off. also check your battery terminals. im pretty sure u can buy the sockets at oreilys.
sparkranger   +1y
Ended up being a shot solenoid.

The bolts were black!
baha   +1y
that's what happened to my 96 Ranger
wht01ranger   +1y
glad u got it fixed...from the way it sounded i woulda guessed the ignition switch since it "caught" on the way back

odd for the solenoid to cause that. unless it's deteriorated lol
Page 1 of 1