Page 1 of 1
Ranger Engine \  I can't get the clutch to bleed

I can't get the clutch to bleed

Ranger Engine Ranger Tech
views 1730
replies 8
following 6

2pumpchump   +1y
Whats up everybody. I have a 1993 ford explorer. I changed the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing slave cylinder, and clutch master cylinder. After I got everything back in, I tried numerous times with numerous methods to bleed it, and nothing seems to work. Is there any type of trick to this? Also, I noticed when I disconected the hydraulic line from the slave cylinder, the clutch pedal doesn't have any pressure. The book states the clutch pedal should be very stiff with the line disconected. I tried bleeding the line, but that didn't work. I have a new hydraulic line on order. If the new line doesn't work, what are my options?
baha   +1y
did you try bleeding your clutch by your self? When I replaced mine I had my dad pump the pedal while I bled it and I remember we did the pump and bleed thing for along time until I finally got pressure back I just had alot of air in my line, good luck man

Rob
hotboxd   +1y
you just have to drive it around for a minute and then come back and try again. that was literally what i did.
wht01ranger   +1y
^^ no

how did you go about bleeding it?

do this if you didnt, hook everthing back up, all the lines, everything tightened. make sure to fill up the clutch canister in the engine bay full of fluid. after this, step on the clutch several times (the clutch may stick to the floor because of excessive air in the lines) keep stepping on it or use your hands until you get pressure (you should start to get some resistance). ok if you dont get any pressure after awhile, check the fittings to see if anything is leaking, also check the back of the master cylinder (inside the cab) and make sure the seal didnt break and it is leaking

ok now to bleed, it is ideal to have 2 people, but isnt necessary to get a working system. what you do is you need to bleed it at the slave cylinder (or wherever your truck bleeds)

if you are by yourself, open the bleeder valve slightly, and step or push the clutch pedal in several times, causing fluid to rush out of the bleeder valve. check occasionally to make sure the fluid level on the canister is full or not empty. i'd say go through this couple times and then tighten the bleeder valve. after that check for pressure.

with two ppl, like baha said, u get a guy under the truck opening the bleeder valve and a guy pumping the clutch

two bleed with two ppl, u need a guy to pump the clutch several times with the bleeder valve closed, then hold the clutch (keep your foot on the clutch pressing down on the pedal) and then the guy under the truck opens the valve, then when the pedal goes to the floor, close the bleeder valve again. repeat the steps until you don't see air anymore on the lines (get a bleeder kit from autozone, 4bucks!)

that should do it
bodydropped85   +1y
do what mark said on teh first step BUT havea buddy open the valve when u press down and b4 you release it, have it close it to keep air from comin back in.
2pumpchump   +1y
I have tried all the methods posted (except the driving it around, cause it won't go into gear), and still nothing. Thats why I think it is the Hydraulic line, but I haven't noticed a decrease in fluid level, or a puddle of fluid when I come back to it the next day, so I am kind of sketchy about the line. Are there any other ideas? By the way, thanks for the input so far.
2pumpchump   +1y
I think I will buy the bleeder from Autozone
hotboxd   +1y
ok, i couldn't get the clutch to bleed, all the way. mine would go into gear but it was a bitch, so i drove it around, checked the lines, bled what i could and tried again. by drive around i don't mean go to fucking sonic, i mean back it up and pull forwards.
fatman   +1y
the way i did mine was jacked the rear up till the jack stands were maxed out and left it sit over night and i came home from work and boom i had a cluch and it is still workin it alows all the air to go out the top by itself just remember to leave the lid off the holding area....
Page 1 of 1