Page 1 of 1
Ranger Engine \  motor help

motor help

Ranger Engine Ranger Tech
views 2096
replies 9
following 8

stylinranger   +1y
what whould be a kool motor to put in a ranger i dont want a 302 b/c everyone has them, but a v8 is what i want
xxxxcjxxxx   +1y
289 r popular and i think i've seen a 329

ive never seen.. not sure if it will fit but a 4.6L out of the new mustangs?
tiger   +1y
A 289 is a 302.

The 4.6 wouldn't fit with the stock front suspension, you'd have to run a Mustang II suspension or similar.

Not too many V8 engines actually fit outside the 302, that's why it's so popular. You could make the 5.4 from the F150 work in you don't mind using F150 front suspension, moving the firewall back, and making a new tranny/driveline tunnel.

The 3.9 from the T-bird/LS might work, but I'm not sure about the width.
bodydropped85   +1y
the 3.8 will fit but its a shitty motor. the jag 3.9 to many electronic do dads and wiring(have u ever seen an ls harness? it goes from the dash all the way around the carand back to the motor),dimensionaly the 4.6 and 5.4 are the same..... u could do a 351 or a 2.3 turbo. or a rotary
list is endless
blue_94_ranger   +1y
shit, take the time and do some kutting and molding and put a 460 BB ford under the hood.lol
itsarealedgeiswear   +1y
A 4.6 Sohc and dohc will fit but they are really wide so have fun with that, Iv seen 2 so far in a 98-up ranger. A sweet motor swap would be a Taurus SHO V-6 alot of people have had sucuess with fitting them with a ranger 5 speed with a 3.0 housing, somebody makes a adapter for a T-5. Pretty quick motor and looks good too, parts are pricy but there is a aftermaket. The V-8 SHO sucks and is full of problems dont even bother with it.

This guy put one In his 4Runner and its twin turbo'd
hotboxd   +1y
yeah a 4.6 will fit, but good luck with that wiring. you have to have a lot of patience or a mba from harvard in electronics.

and dimensionally i think greg was saying it's the same weight as the 2.5 and not much wider than a 351.
wanna b lower   +1y

I almost bought a 2nd gen ranger with a 460 in it, it was sweet but needed alot of work. but yea ive heard good things about the sho moter swaps.
bodydropped85   +1y
the 4.6 is like 6 inches wider and like 4 inches taller than a 351...
tiger   +1y

Yeah, those DOHC motors are really, really wide...one advantage to pushrods (assuming you're talking pushrod 351) is how narrow they are, unless you get a big block.

Just get like a 429 Cobra Jet with the dual quads, great motor that'll requires the use of a neck brace.
Page 1 of 1