Page 1 of 1
Ranger Engine \  Check Engine Light

Check Engine Light

Ranger Engine Ranger Tech
views 1010
replies 8
following 4

daweezi   +1y
So yea my check engine light came on a couple of days ago and thanx to baha i went to autozone to get the codes scanned for free(other places like firestone, ford, precision tune auto wanted $50-$100 to do a diagnostic), well autozone scanned the codes and the codes that came up was saying that my bank 1 was running too lean and then the second code said my bank 1 was running too rich. Now as i understand bank 1 refers to the first cylinder but im not entirely sure and I dunno how it could be both lean and rich at the same time but anyway the lady who was helping me said both meant the same thing more or less then she suggested i get my fuel injectors cleaned, but i just had that done about 2 weeks ago so she decided that wasnt the problem, then she suggested that maybe newer spark plugs would help. does this sound right? If this sounds like it could help, what spark plugs should i get? thanx for the replies
bodydropped85   +1y
nope bank 1 is 1 side of hte motor bank 2 is the other. since u only have one side u only have 1 bank. sensor 1 leand and sensor 2 rich mite be a catalic converter or a 02 sensor. cant really tell unless i have it on a dianositc machine. could be a DPFE sensor.if u still have the aluminum one then definatly it is. ford redeisigned them and there plastic now.
daweezi   +1y
so im guessin the lady tellin me that spark plugs may solve it was most likely wrong, what should i do about it now if thats the case? pay up to a shop and get the diagnostics run and go from there?
baha   +1y
autozone has them for free, you just have to pay a deposit to rent the tool then when you bring it back you get your money back
daweezi   +1y
well she used some handheld machine and plugged it into the computer outlet under my dash, is that the diagnostic machine or is it just something that checks the codes? because she did it all right there in the parking lot in a couple of minutes and then went inside and plugged the codes into the computer and then that info about bank 1 came up, if that is not the diagnostic machine itself then let a brotha know so i can rent it
bodydropped85   +1y
i doubt autozone will rent a 3thousand dollar OBD II scan tool not the ones that read codes but ones that read the info from the pcm.
daweezi   +1y
yea ill probably just pay 50 bucks and get the full diagnostics test from precision tune auto or somethin and then after the results ill see if its somethin i can do myself or somethin i need to shell more money out for
daweezi   +1y
so yea after doing some research on it my thoughts were it was an O2 sensor gone bad, told my dad what i came up with and he took it to some Ford specialst place in my town, well they checked the truck out today and first called to tell my dad that i was right about teh O2 sensor...then he just now called to say it wasnt the O2 sensor...just a vaccum hose had come unplugged...turns out it was no big deal at all and next time i know to look for the vaccum hose instead of just guessing about the problem haha...so this weekend im goin home to get my truck back
layingframe89   +1y

yeah they aint going to rent one of those

bt james is right about bank 1 and bank 2 i would think it might be the 02 sensor and of the DPFE sensor but if u can actually use a wrench then u prob can change both of these
Page 1 of 1