convert from 4wd to 2wd

Mazda Lowering Static Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 2246
replies 11
following 3

harry seaward   +1y
'91 b2600i 4x4 LE-5, extended cab
What all is involved?
Other than the tranny, I'm guessing I'll need a shorter front section of the rear driveshaft (I can just use one from a 2wd extended cab, right?), the boot on the body below the console and the boot in the console. What about the cross member that bolts to the transfer case? It looks like there is a place closer to the front that can accept a different cross member. If that's the case, I'm guessing I can just use the same cross member from the 2wd.
Anything else?

Thanks!
geterdun   +1y
Totally change out the front end (upper control arms lower control arms and torsion bar setup, and every thing bolted to each one)?
Maybe even the steering sector and all parts attached? Got to put something where the front differential was. Bigger job than suspected?
harry seaward   +1y
Oh, I was thinking of leaving the front diff in. Just a tranny swap and whatever else would be necessary for that.
geterdun   +1y
That would be simpler. Not sure about the transmission tailshaft change out. Why not just pull the front drive shaft and truck on?
harry seaward   +1y

The transmission has a bad countershaft bearing and is stuck in 4th gear (I believe these two things are related, but they may not be). It's going to cost $500-$1,000 to get it fixed depending on what all needs replaced ($1,000 is a full rebuild). This is more than I can rationally pay to fix a truck that will be worth $1,000 when I'm done. I cannot find a 4x4 junk yard tranny anywhere close.

My remaining options are 1.) swap over to a 2wd tranny if I can find one, 2.) part out the truck and 3.) sell it as is for whatever I can get for it.
geterdun   +1y
Ouch! Maybe find a whole truck on Craigslist, then one would be parts truck? If you love it, you will need a parts truck as they get more rare.
Maybe someone on here went v6 or v8 and has a transmission (or those parts) laying around? We all love our B's.
Is it 2000, 2200 or 2600? I have a "pulled running" 2600 automatic laying around. When the engine cracked a head years ago, I put a 4.3 V6 with automatic from a truck in it.
harry seaward   +1y
It's a 2600i, manual. I have to imagine converting to auto will be much more involved than to 2wd.
geterdun   +1y
Right [acquire shifter, transmission lines, maybe another radiator (for cooling lines), plus wiring changes], I was just showing, B truck lovers have parts. Maybe a different post:
"Wanted: 19?? B???? 4x4 transmission or parts" (transmissions are different between some engines, maybe some years too).
Then there are parts yards and PullAParts.
"Ask and ye shall receive"
"Patience is a virtue",
Yada, yada,yada.
message Scotch for who to check with.
chevellex69   +1y
I know a guy in fargo, ND pulling the 2.6 out of his 4x4. He'd prolly sell it.
harry seaward   +1y

Would you mind asking what he'll take if he is selling it? (Just to be clear, I need the transmission, not the engine.)