Page 1 of 2
Mazda Lowering Static \  Radiator swap with e-fan

Radiator swap with e-fan

Mazda Lowering Static Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 2911
replies 12
following 7

befarrer   +1y
Does anybody have any experience with swapping their radiator with a junkyard upgrade that has an electric fan? Wonder what to look for. Looking for increases cooling capacity while getting an electric fan.
chaserjohndoe   +1y
ford taurus mid to late 90's with the larger v6. almost bolts in perfect and has really good cooling.
anguswilly   +1y
I have also read about the Taurus fan, I am currently using the fan from an Acura NSX (expensive and hard to find) but I got it next to free - it's soooo quiet I sometimes wonder if it's working...

It blows so much air though.
fdugn545   +1y
About that Ford swap...
Do u have any pics or anything? Cause this sounds promising providing there's not too much fab work.

Fred

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
anguswilly   +1y
What I wonder is how much clearance you have - I deleted the fan pulley entirely to gain space - hacked up the mount on the motor and got a shorter belt.
chaserjohndoe   +1y
I have no clue on the Taurus fan. I am actually currently looking to do it. I believe a couple guys either here or on Mazdatruckin have done it. Also really common to do it on Toyoyta's (like mine)as well. I have heard it is super easy as the you only have to hook up power and ground cuz the relay and everything is mounted next to the fan.
z2000   +1y
I have upgraded to an e fan I have heard a lot of good things about the Taurus fan. One thing you have to watch is the parasitic affect that elecric fan has on your alternator.. Some of the fans pull a ton of amperage at start up. You babe to also realize that the Taurus alternators have a larger amp rating than our wimpy alts!

This is my setup I have a 2 row radiator ment for a automatic b2200
post photo
z2000   +1y
Hit submit too soon! It is a flexalite fan with a flexalite relay/ temp sensor. I also wired up a manual override switch for a piece of mind!
post photo
post photo
Cusser   +1y

Above lies the key: get a 2-row radiator, was designed for use in the automatic trucks, so has inlet outlet at the bottom for ATF that you just don't use. That's what I have on mine here in Arizona (190F thermostat too or you won't get decent winter heat).

When I developed too-high heat with my original 1-row radiator, i bought a copper/brass 2-row radiator that bolted right in to my '88 B2200, cooled great, but developed a small leak at a weld after one year. It was lifetime warranty, the replacement was an aluminum 2-row that bolted fine into the truck but I did have to drill holes in its bracket for the fan shroud (see my engine rebuild thread below for pictures).

So 2-row radiator is key. If your stock fan clutch and fan blade are OK, use those. If you don't have those or want to try for a few more hp, then you should consider an electric fan set-up.
befarrer   +1y
I will look into the tarus fan. I was actually wondering about a larger radiator to install, preferably a radiator that has a fan stock. Most rads attach with pins that fit in rubber bushings, not bolted on like our trucks. I have the auto 2-row radiator right now.