threads
Page 2 of 2
Mazda Engine General \  Anyone interested in big front brakes?

Anyone interested in big front brakes?

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 4770
replies 20
following 7

mazdizzle   +1y
I've seen info floating around on doing the silverado rotors in the rear. You have to make caliper brackets and figure out something for an e brake
2slo2rce   +1y
I still have to rig up a parking brake. I swapped a S10 rear in mine becouse I had a stuff for it to handle the extra power of the motor swap lol. The to do list never ends on this thing.
mazdizzle   +1y
I'm going to talk to Wilwood tomorrow if I get time and ask about the correct caliper size and master cylinder for our trucks. I'm running an explorer rear end with disc brakes so I might just buy a new Wilwood master cylinder. The calipers I got have a piston area of 4.12" each. For those bad at math that's 8.24 sq in total. According to the chart I found a 7/8 bore master cylinder is good for 9.6 sq in of piston area. My rear calipers are about 1.20 sq in each so that puts me at 10.64 sq in which isn't far off but I'm thinking I may need the 15/16" master cylinder. I would like a nice firm pedal vs a slightly soft one.

I converted my 93 mustang to the big cobra disc brakes front and rear and I love the firm pedal in that and it stops on a dime. My goal is to get the same feel in the mazda but I'm still trying to learn how all this stuff works in relation to each other.
2slo2rce   +1y
Not to fan boy your truck but, damn that thing looks good in the pic lol. I've never really dove into all the math for brake systems. It is a bit overwhelming at first. Keep us posted man!!! If it's cheaper to do a group buy I'm down. Depending on cost I might buy two set ups. I'm probably going to do another truck but make it actually fast. The LS1 in this one isn't doin it for me anymore. In process of new harness, different mountimy for the acc, heads, cam and probably a small shot but I'd rather just build another one and turbo the guts out of it than pull this one apart again After this round of mods lol
mazdizzle   +1y
Unfortunately that $25 each for the rotor adapters is the cost I have in having the made not a dime more. I wish I could have them done cheaper but I called around and no one else seemed like they wanted to mess with it. The first round I had 10 adapters cut out at $200 plus $50 for the sheet of 1/4 steel. I even tapped all the holes where the new rotors bolt on and smoothed out the center bores since the water jet cuts at a slight taper they were pretty tight on the hubs.
2slo2rce   +1y
So this ends up being close to a grand for it? Eh piece by piece I'm fine with that. I know a local guy with a CNC machine. He owns leash electronics I wonder if he could hook my up if you send me or him the file. I'll ask him.
mazdizzle   +1y
Well adding up the parts on the list with the plain non slotted rotors it comes up to be around $500. Plus say another $100 for the adapters and caliper brackets. I've got about $80 in those 2 brake lines and fittings but I'm sure they can be found slightly cheaper without the wilwood name on them.
Lowishb2200   +1y
Are you still making these
angus_m   +1y
Are you making these still?
B4600   +1y
Are you still making these adaptors? I would love a pair for the 6 bolt hubs if possible