Page 1 of 3
Mazda Engine General \  Removing emissions

Removing emissions

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 7570
replies 24
following 15

lowered_impressions   +1y
Got an 88 B2200 and want to remove some emissions (don't have to pass here) Anyone have tips or instructions on doing this? Theres that huge unit on the air cleaner with tubes going to the exaust manifold. Can you just remove this and block the tubes?
tre5   +1y
buy a weber carb, throw all the emission in the garbage.
nonamedsomebody   +1y
been wanting to get a weber can i run a weber with the stock exhaust? I know you get better performance with a header. can that be added at a later time.
baggedb2k   +1y
If your strapped for cash right now and can't afford a weber, you can remove all the emissions B.S. anyway. If your interested, let me know, I can give you detailed pics of what it will look like without all that crap. I removed mine weeks ago, and mine runs great. It will idle just a bit higher but nothing major. When you start your truck on a cold morning and it idles just a bit higher than after it warms up, that's about how it will idle after removing all the smog crap. I have no vaccum leaks, and the truck runs so much better now. Throttle response is night and day better, it doesn't run rich, IMO it's not far from actually putting on a weber if your stock carb is in good shape.

The huge unit on the air cleaner can be removed, or just do away with your old air cleaner all together, Advance Auto Parts and Autozone sell a small air cleaner cover that fits the carbs perfect. Either way will work better, my experience though the stock cleaner restricts alot of air flow into the carb. Once you decide on what you wanna do there, take a wrench and remove the tubes from the exhaust manifold, BE CAREFUL......spray them down with WD-40 or something, do not break these if you can keep from it, life will be much easier if you don't. After removing the tubes from the manifold, you have two that run to the bottom of the truck, CAREFULLY cut these with a cut-off wheel on a grinder or a plasma or something of that nature. Once they are cut down, take one of the rubber hoses that was on the front of the air cleaner for the smog crap and connect the two tubes that you just cut.

Once that is done, go back to the top where the tubes met the manifold, after you have removed the tubes completely there will be a threaded stud sticking out of the manifold, this peice can be removed from each hole. ONCE AGAIN, BE VERY VERY CAREFUL and DO NOT BREAK THESE off in the manifold, one broke on me and thankfully it was almost out. BE CAREFUL, take your time. Now once you have removed all four of these studs, you should be left with 4 open holes in the manifold.

At this point you have two options,

Option 1 ( this is what I was told to do before I done mine, I chose Option 2 though ) go to your local parts house and buy lug nuts that tread up on the 4 studs you just removed from the manifold. Once you find 4 lug nuts, thread the studs back into the manifold and snug them up, then put your lug nuts on the threaded end that your old tubes were on.

OR:

Option 2 ( much much harder to find bolts but looks a heck of alot better ) Go to your local hardware store and get four bolts that are these measurements

14 x 1.5 thread pitch

get them as short as you possibly can. Once again, these bolts are really hard to find, most hardware places I checked had

14 x 2.0 thread pitch

which will NOT work. If your able to find the bolts, most likely your not going to find them short enough to bump out against the manifold when you screw them in, so make sure to grab at least one nut when you pick up the bolts so you can cut the bolt down to the right length. After getting the bolts to the right length, screw them into the manifold and snug them up pretty good.

Option 2 is alot more time consuming but the end results are much better as far as appearance is concerned. If your interested, let me know and I will post up pics of what both Options look like and you can decide which way you like better. Hope this helps.
sosatheshark   +1y
good post man ,should put that in tech
slammed dimensions   +1y
PB Blaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lots of it!!!!
baggedb2k   +1y
Thanks Sosa, Any time I can help I try, there is alot of info on here that I had no clue about so I like to return the favor if I know something.

Yeah, PB Blaster works alot better than WD-40, I soaked everything down and left it over night.....lol
slammed dimensions   +1y
When I'm workin on stuff like that at home I normaly soak it over night too. Then the next mornin I'll spray it agian and let the truck idle for a lil while to heat it up. The heat helps break it loose.
baggedb2k   +1y
If it has to do with anything under the hood, I try not to start the truck at all before I have to work on it, especially with this because there are some vaccum lines you have to plug off that are around the block and getting burnt is not something that I like doing......lol.
slammed dimensions   +1y
At work i'm use to workin on cars fresh off the highway, so i'm kinda use to the hot stuff.