Mazda Engine General \  Questions about Fe3 swap into a 87 B2000

Questions about Fe3 swap into a 87 B2000

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 10462
replies 15
following 9

method5150   +1y
Hello,

I’m new this group as I’ve acquired an 87 Mazda b2000 ext cab p-up. My first auto was an 86 reg-cab b2000. Had some good times in that one

I just had some questions on pro/con's on the Fe3 KIA engine swap.

I can't rebuild the stock block since it has a hole by the crankshaft #1 piston rod. block is done.. From the calls I’ve been making I’ve been told it's almost impossible to find a stock complete working engine.. So hence the interest in the swap.

Do most use stock Mazda acces (alt/ac compressor/power steer.. et. ) since most engines only come w/ block/heads/throttle body?

For those who use electric fans.. How did you do your wiring? On cars that have A/C both fans have an override when the A/C is turned on and only the radiator fan is operational w/ A/C off. (Sometimes if car overheats both fans will turn on). i'm not sure how I would set this up useing the stock mazda ECU/PCM

I'm guessing from reading the threads by meadalow mazda and others a little fabrication is needed to fit Mazda access/hose connectors onto Fe3?!

I pretty much have a decent understanding of the ford EDIS ignition and Mega squirt II stand-alone setup. I would much rather go that route then stock ECU and wiring harness.

Also from the threads the Fe3 bolts directly to stock tranny (mine is 5speed) and I can use stock Mazda motor mounts. Correct me if I’m wrong

I live in San Jose, CA, I'm wondering if anyone who lives in SF/L.A. bay areas has any connections (SF bay would be better since it's closer) on Kia fe3 or even a stock Mazda carb engine. The best deal so far is a Fe3 block/heads/throttle body/inj for 750$ in Rancho Cordova, CA. A place in SacTown quoted 1250$ -=O

I’m still deciding if I should build this Mazda up or take it to the metal man. I originally bought it so my dad could take the bed since his got jacked up. I figured the rest of the body was in good shape.. If nothing else I could turn it into a flatbed. Finding a used bock is becoming discouraging but this Fe3 swap sounds like a promising option.

Well.. Maybe more of a rant then tons of questions.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My second post! lol
hex0rz   +1y
It depends if you are going to keep the FE3 stock?

I've seen the FE3 in person, and I would have to say it pretty much is the same as a f2 block, just different heads. If I remember right, alot of it is just drop in bolt in and play.

AS for the ECU, you will need the FE3 ECU from the KIA to run the engine. Unless you go MS. Coolant lines are not very diff. either. I think you just need to swap the upper radiator hose from the KIA to the mazda.

As well, I believe the oil pan needs to be swapped from the f2 to the FE3 for more clearance.

It is RWD config. and will bolt right up to the stock 5 speed tranny. I'm also confident that I remember it will drop right into the motor mounts.

Around here I can get the FE3 engine, longblock, with all FI except ECU and accessories for $650.

If your looking for an engine swap and want to stick to something simple, the FE3 IS THE ONE! You could'nt ask for an easier swap!

As well, the engine can take gobbs of boost and HP before things need to be beefed up internally!
method5150   +1y
hey hey,

thanks for the reply.. yes, i do remember reading one of the threads to swap the oil pans.. and stock mazda motor mounts work.

for now I would like to keep it stock.. but i figure the megasquirt would aid in better stock performence. not sure if it's bull**** but someone said the stock ecu/harness was crap from kia and they had lots of user issues. i figure it would be fun to play with any way.

650$ dang.. that's 100$ then i can find. not to mention rancho cordova is like a 5 hour drive from here. Oh well, road trip

nice ride dude.. checked it out on car domain. nice fiberglass play.. love the pods.. this truck might be my guinea pig. I'm really leaning towards keep'n it and fix'n it up.

thanks.

eddy
1hotdawg   +1y
First post in a longggg time here for me lol. I've not been doing anything to the Dawg.

I'm planning the Kia swap my self right now and have put together a bit of a shopping list...sort of. Madlowmazda's post is one of the best on the subject.

So far these are some of the things I see needed for the swap:

14" Electric fan...push or pull? Brand matter? (Ebay?)
Kia Manual flywheel - (motor from manual should be chosen)
Mazda oil pan/new gasket - windage tray, dip stick, oil p/u all from Mazda
FI Fuel pump - or Walbro 255lh - it's also been said to use the FI fuel tank for it's baffles.
Coolant line - Use the Kia upper radiator metal lines
- Use Mazda lower radiator hose
Power steering lines
Mazda motor mounts

I may do the Miata exhaust manifold like Madlowmazda as well.
hex0rz   +1y
WOW! Hotdawg! LONG TIME NO SEE! I thought you left the bscene forever!

The KIA ECU so far is fine, from what I've been told. Never heard of any trouble with it. IF your worried, just get the ECU rebuilt...

I should take the pics off my domain with the fiberglass gauge pods as that dash got scrapped... lol.

I myself bought two generic non-name brand 16" fans for the mazda off of ebay. Went to an auto store here and got the flexalite thermostat and never had a problem! One is a pusher and the other is a puller. I don't think it will matter if you have only one fan. IMO I don't think the fan has to work harder than the other in its orientation...

I would suggest building your own exhaust manifold, as I've heard the stock manifolds crack. When I went to check out the engines at the junker they all had cracks in them!
method5150   +1y
sweetness, i'm not that good at welding but i'm sure i could make something work. I don't have a pipe bender at the shop either -=<
maybe just take it to an exhaust shop for mucho$.

what kind of MPG are you getting on your Fe3?

also where did you put your cat? I noticed mazda put it close to the exhaust headers... i

have you guys delt w/ any smog issues? I live in CA and haven't really thought about this issue. doing anything to your ride takes nothing less then a march on capital hill here in CA !!! I do know the engine can't be older then the car. ran into problems sourceing a H22A for my 00' honda. decided to go w/ the stock v6 for that project.
hex0rz   +1y
I don't have the FE3 in yet. But I have seen mostly people get around 28mpg on average. IF your not hard on the pedal. Thats really good, IMO.

OH WAIT, lol... Yea... If your in Cali, your screwed, LOL! No way you are gonna get it to pass...

I know the emissions here stated that if the engine was offered by the manufacturer, for that truck, then you can swap it. So that means I won't be able to swap the FE3 legally, but chances are I can just drive on through since they don't do a visual on me unless I go for a pardon after a failure.

You might be able to try your luck and say its stock engine and if they catch on just tell them its because of the swapped head. Thats what my excuse will be, because its a Mazda block and KIA head on it, lol.

If you still get the engine, cut the flange off the exhaust manifold and weld it onto your pipes... Will make for a waaaay easier fit.
method5150   +1y
yes, was thinking of the same excuse. i know a couple of places that do sloppy visual inspections. i've only had one guy catch my high flow cat on my honda. shoot, a cop even missed it one time looking under my car.

thanks for the tip on the exhaust.. very good idea! I'll probably still do the swap even thou it might be a pain to smog it.
fe3tcourier   +1y

Than! Than than than than than!!! :-p

If you are going KIA fe3 you can use the OEM ECU and it will be sweet. If you are going Mazda you need a standalone really. Either way, don't waste your time with EDIS, just run it direct!

Sweet engine at the end of the day, right up there/better than sr20de, 3sge, 4g63 etc. Revs beautifully with the right mods.

You can make it an easy swap by putting the kia motor and ecu in or you can make it a hard swap by going nuts (like I guess I did). Either way it's not uber difficult, but you will want to have a MIG that uses GAS and you will want to know how to use it pretty well. If you want a basic swap I guess that doesnt matter much.

engine mounts = truck stockers
coolant plumbing = custom - customish
wiring = stock kia - custom

If you get a mazda one you need to fab up your own intake manifold etc too...

Fred.
viper1158   +1y
this is great. im looking for a kia motor anyone got any good leads i live in seattle wa