Page 1 of 1
Mazda Adjustable Suspension \  older toyota rear end in a mazda b2000

older toyota rear end in a mazda b2000

Mazda Adjustable Suspension Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 2389
replies 8
following 4

87purplebaggedmazda   +1y
so im wanting to know if u use a older toyota rear axle under my mazda will i need to change anything up to make the drive line work ... im about to have my mazda rebagged in the rear and the rims i have rub the side walls when laid out and the reason for the older toyota axle is cuz i heard there 3 inches narrower .... can any one help me out
no one know?
rcogan   +1y
Will have to have drive shaft made/modified to go from mazda transmission to Toyota rearend
Remember to make sure you take into account that rearend is narrower, some backspacing/offset on wheels will have to go further out
Brake lines may need to be redone to mate up
well i hear u dont have to get a new drive line just change out the u joints but not sure how that will work i know im goin to need a cut the back half off to make the axle work witch im ok with and brake line i have been told will work to ........ have u done this to a mazda if so do u have pics
rcogan   +1y
I have not done this on mazda yet
I have the 90 rearend, and have been looking into it for a little bit(money is short, fighting brake problems)
I haven't seen the "swap u-joints" method, but it is possible if everything matches up just right
I know when I did the Toyota swap on my old isuzu, it was easier to just bring machine shop the isuzu drive shaft and Toyota drive shaft with a measurement on how long and they redid tube and balanced it for $86
Didn't know if u-joints would fit each other drive shaft ends, if length was right(some ends are longer, some shorter)
k i will look into it more
onebadkota   +1y
Not sure what year Maz. you have...But I put I believe an 84-85ish Toyota Rearend in my 87 b2000

I did a 5 lug conversion, and am running a sbc though, so it will require a chevy to yota driveshaft to be made for me. So I cant help much on that part...They are different though.

As far as wheels go...I am running 20s with a high offset so I had to get some spacers to keep my wheels from rubbing on the frame. I cant remember what size though.. I can measure when I get home if I remember.

mine is a 87 as while im staying 6 lug so i want to use the 4x4 toyota axle but i want to use the 79-83 one im still not sure on what i need of if my driveline will work but my 20's have a really bad off set so i need a narrow axle i know im going to need to cut the back half of my frame off and re fab up a frame to make it all work frame wise but idk about the rest
robzilla   +1y
If you can get the driveline axle flange. The piece that bolts up to the rear end. That can help you when you are swapping over. I haven't swapped mine yet but I will be soon.

I will be going with Toyota 2wd though. Originally I bought a 1980 Toyota 4x4 axle. The dimensions between 4x4 and 2wd are slightly different. I never swapped over that 4wd rear end. It has sat at my friends house because that is where we parted out the truck. We were discussing the possibly need to change the gears in that rear end. Since then I changed my mind on staying 6lug. I got a 2wd Toyota rear from an 87. The guy had one from an 85 and the width was the same as the 87 but the thickness of the housing was larger on the 87. So I went with the 87 because it looked like a more solid housing to weld to.

I was thinking of the u-joint option. I picked up the Toyota driveshaft so I can try and mesh the two. Worse case I will weld on the end, then take it to the driveline shop and have one made. Again I am comparing 2wd parts not sure how different the 4wd is. I can let you know how mine goes when I do it.
Page 1 of 1