Page 1 of 1
Mazda Adjustable Suspension \  Technical air bag question

Technical air bag question

Mazda Adjustable Suspension Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 841
replies 6
following 3

sincitylocal   +1y
I'm setting up my rear for bags. Where should I set ride height in relation to bag inflation. In other words, should I set it at the mid-point, or more like 65%?
More?
Less?
sincitylocal   +1y
After reading how that's worded, maybe I should say this...
I know where I want ride height. Where should I position the bags in relation to suspension travel?

It's been a long damned day... I hope this makes sense!
baha   +1y
This depends on some other factors, what model/brand of bags, psi goal, type of rear suspension set up, where you plan to mount the bags etc.

But the simple way of doing it is just set the right height using the length of the bag with no psi in it at all. You can always increase air pressure to increase the bag height.

Got any pics of your planned set up?
mymmeryloss   +1y
Bags ride better utilizing the inner spring at almost 0 psi than they do at 50%+

And im assuming u are planning on running a shock setup also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sincitylocal   +1y
I built a 3 link. Haven't taken any pics yet.
Bags are Firestone 2600's. I plan to go over axle. I'm going to install cups inset in the frame rails, but don't want to set them too shallow and bottom out, or too deep and need to run higher psi to compensate, if I have to sacrifice ride quality.

I'm not dragging, or laying out... ever.

I had to ditch the leaf springs to install the disc brake GM 10 bolt and 275/40-17 whee/tire setup. I have all the geometry worked out. I just don't understand air bag spring rate. I got 2600's instead of a smaller bag, because I do realize larger bags mean lower psi.

Air bags are new to me, and I have no idea what psi will be required, so you understand my concern.

Definitely will be running shocks, and a rear sway bar!
This will still be a working pickup too.
baha   +1y
I think the min height for that bag is roughly 3" but you can double check by compressing the bag as far as you can and take that as your min height measurement.

edit: Just saw you already gave the specs

On an over axle set up, the lower PSI the softer the ride. You may even get by with running only 50psi since it's over the axle.

I would make a 3" spacer out of tubing to mock up your bag mounts. The max diameter is around 8" but I would give them at least another inch clearance from the frame to account for any side to side movement.

I see you are using a 1/4" port, it will generally be slow to inflate/deflate, if you use hardline instead of the DOT plastic line it will help speed it up.

This may be a long explanation but here it goes:
I'm guessing if say there is no psi you will want it to bottom out with the axle touching the frame right? If this is so you know your bag has a max stroke of 5.91" so you can go from this point up to another 5.91" since you are running an over axle setup. If this is in your right height range, you're fine.

In my opinion I wouldn't have your truck bottom out on the bag itself, I know others have done this with out any issue.
sincitylocal   +1y
I guess I put up the specs with the wrong port. I have 1/2" port.
Bump stops were going to be my next question, but you covered that. Thanks.
Page 1 of 1