Page 1 of 1
Mazda Adjustable Suspension \  wheel hop

wheel hop

Mazda Adjustable Suspension Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 1118
replies 9
following 4

rjl1203   +1y
this may not be the right category, but its the closest i can find. anyways, today during a sharp, fast right hand turn, the right rear wheel hopped. a lot. truck is 100% stock. any idea what caused this, and how to fix it?
jc50942   +1y
put on new shocks
rjl1203   +1y
thanks. kiinda scared me, tthought i might've messed something up. hopefully its that simple of a fix.
mazdafvr   +1y
i don't know how to word this, but picture two cars on a race track like talledega. the car on the outside lane is traveling further than the car on the inside lane around a corner because theres more ground to cover, same with your wheels, when u take a turn, the power should be transferred to your inner wheel because your outer wheel has to spin faster to keep up, if the power isn't transferring, then the wheels are trying to go the same speed when one has more ground to cover. my dads Lincoln is doing this and it sometimes makes the inside wheel spin or cherp. inside wheel is same wheel as the direction your turning, right turn, right wheel, left turn left wheel. hope this makes sense, try checking your rear end fluid, could be a rear end issue
rjl1203   +1y
thanks for the tip. no one cared for the truck before i got it. im sure its long overdue for a fluid change. any reccomendations on what kind, or is that one of thos thing that doesnt matter either way(obviously within the manufacturer's requirements) as long as its fresh?
rjl1203   +1y
also, i had what looked like grease on the passenger side inside the drums. reasearch points toward a bad wheel seal. could that be related to the rear end issues?
mazdafvr   +1y
hmmm, I haven't dealt with a wheel seal yet, but I would try putting in some 80 w-90 gear oil in there and see what it does
rjl1203   +1y
will do. from what ive read, the 'grease' is actually the oil from the rear end combined with brake dust.
87forever   +1y
Ok let me give some insight.I use 75w90 GL5 coastal brand gear oil.Now granted a oil substance on the inside with the rear brake shoes can be 2 things.It can be a leaky wheel cylinder or axle seals.To narrow down the issue look on the backing plate on the outside where the brake line feeds into the whl cyldr.If there is a any residue it points to the rear axle seal leaking(very common on the b trks).Next does the wheel cylinder look coated in brake fluid?Gear oil has a VERY distinct smell over brake fluid.I would brake clean the shoe area,and if there is any oil on the outside backing plate this indicates a seal issue with the axle,not whl cylder.Hope this helps and delt with axle issues,and swaps and all the above.Tired and hope to got all this straight.
rjl1203   +1y
theres no fluid(or grease) on the back of the drum, which i hear is a sign the seal is bad. and both wheel cylinders, as welll as every single other aspect of the brakes(apart from the froont calipers only) are brand new. not sure if that narrows anything down or even helps, but id like to have a good idea what it is before i start buying parts just so i dont replace parts that dont need it yet.
Page 1 of 1