threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Adjustable Suspension \  Bag over axle, or bag over bars?

Bag over axle, or bag over bars?

Mazda Adjustable Suspension Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 4687
replies 11
following 6

kill y-tee   +1y
Getting ready to make the Rear notch plunge, and wondering what rear bag configuration to go with. Bag over axle seems to the the most popular but more custom fab work seems to be needed as compared to bag over bar setup. I know zero about either, but wanting to get some input as far as bag over bar ground clearance. the Super Lift, Super Pivot 4-Link Kit looks like a solid kit but almost looks like the bottom bars with the bag mounts would be what lays on the ground and drags when drivin low? Do you get more lift with bag on lower bar setups? Bag over axle doesnt seem to get the a$$ as high on trucks i have seen on here. I def dont want the links to be what lays. I just have no real world bag experience and could use any advise. I dont want to get crazy but will prolly do the preferred "eskies" and keep my 2wd fenders but want to lay frame. Anyone on here that could help with what would be best, im not afraid to weld at all but i know you all have so many easiest and solid ways to get this accomplished. I had put a cross bar between the frame with bag mount hoels in it over axle bag mounts about 9 years ago when i got the 86 single cab but no notch so its prolly the dumbest bag setup ever, I had a manual MIC 4 switch panel in the cab that had 1/2 inch line into it from tank with each switch 1/2 out to each corner and it would dump directly into cab at bottom of each switch , so hillarious! but no one around here in BFE montana had anything likeit so i was cool for 5 minutes. Those days are over and i see the 3 link that keeps the fact gas tank looks cool too. with that 3 link you would have to do bag over axle correct? Help! , Thanks To everyone on here, you guys seem to have way more respect for each other, and noobs than my tundra and honda-tech forums do. Ty In Billings MT 86 B2000 single cab short box Mods feel free to move if im out of line posting.
xgolferdude   +1y
I would call sadictive ironworks they have a 3 link kit that has all the geomtry built in and would help you lay it out.. lay frame as well... that way the gas tank stays put and you dont have to know much about the geometry in the suspension.. I like firestone f9000's they are a sleeve bag and would go on top the axle or behind and ride real nice... with your limited expiernce I would try to make it as easy as possible so you dont get pissed and have something thta rides terrible... hope that helps sir!
jobbadahut613   +1y
Where is Sadictive out of? Got a number or any contact info?
xgolferdude   +1y
im sorry its sadistic iron werks
his name is bobby 760 403 5159......
maztang (ryan)   +1y
Bobby is the shit! He will definitely take care of you on whatever it is you need. He also does custom engraving, so if you want to add your own touch to your build just let him know. He is the one that has been doing all of Jamey Jordans engraving up until recently.

I will tell you this as far as your setup. I would get a fuel cell and do a triangulated 4 link facing fwd. Bag over bar is going to be your smoothest ride and get you the most lift. Bag over axle is your easiest way to go just to get a bagged ride. Unless you plan on towing, which what are you really going to tow with a Mazda hahaha, then go with bag over bar. Bag over axle is great for towing and if you want to keep the stock tank in its stock location. I only bag a vehicle with 8 valves, you will hear everyone say that you only need 4 because you aren't going to do side to side just front and back. 4 valves will get you body roll, 8 will prevent body roll. I have been using Slam Specialties for years, I am done with Slams, here lately their quality has gone down hill very bad. I am going to start using Firestones, but that is a personal preference. I can go on and on but these are just a few pointers I build by. You will have many opinions on this though, believe me.
91extcab   +1y
I can tow with mine.... Feels like a 2.0 with a/t with both trucks loaded, and like a carb'd 2.6 with headers with a/t with both trucks empty and towing... Why can't you tow with a b? I towed probably close to 1800 miles with mine on the cross country move... I has the 2.6fi tho, with 5 speed
maztang (ryan)   +1y
Sorry man, what I mean by tow is totally different. I should have been more clear, I meant tow a loaded car hauler, not pull a vehicle. My daily neon can probably pull another car haha. Don't get me wrong, bag over axle is fine for anyone, it is probably the strongest setup of all, but if you want a smoother ride with a lot of lift then you will want bag over bar. My 83 is bagged over axle, I didn't originally bag it but it rides fine and has never let me down. But when I redo it, I will be doing bag over bar. Bag size makes a huge difference in ride quality as well. When I bought my 83 it had 2500s on the rear, I immediately swapped them out with some RE7s and it was like night and day in ride quality.
91extcab   +1y
I've actually thought about putting a 5th wheel receiver on the back of mine for a goose neck car hauler but that's down the road
unusualfabrication   +1y

As long as you mount the lower bars slightly higher than the frame the bars will not drag on the ground. You will get more lift mounting the bag on the bars, the further up the bar you move the bag the more lift you'll get. You will get a softer ride with the bag on the bars compared to the bags on the axle. There is a point were moving the bag to far up the bar is counter productive and the ride will be to soft. I make and sell quite a few bag on bar link setups and wishbone setups.
maztang (ryan)   +1y

Putting a V8 under the hood with a stronger than Mazda tranny? hahaha. That would be sick as hell to see a Mazda with a 5th wheel man! I should do that with my 83 and build a 5th wheel 10ft trailer to haul my golf cart hahahaha.