threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Adjustable Suspension \  Viair 550c Questions...

Viair 550c Questions...

Mazda Adjustable Suspension Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 2846
replies 11
following 5

addiktion   +1y
Ive got two 9 gallon tanks and im running a Viair 550 compressor. How loud are they actually supposed to be?? And how long should it take to pump up those two tanks to 150psi? What exactly do i need to worry about with it being in my box without a tonneau cover?

thread post photo
90-b22dawg [andrew]   +1y
its going to take a good while to fill up 18 gallons to 150 psi with one pump. the weather wont hurt them. and id say depending on how its mounted will determine how loud it is. i bet it is pretty loud mounted to thin sheet metal. probably would quiet down some if you mounted it to the frame with some rubber washers between frame and comp.
addiktion   +1y
ive been reading that they arent sealed so they shouldnt be "in the elements". i dont think im able to mount it to the frame anywhere. and ya im gonna stick a piece of rubber between the bed and the compressor to help quiet her down. do you have any rough idea on how long it should take? im trying to determine if shes in good working order or if shes on her way out.
baha   +1y
Have you timed it? I would think it would easily take over 5 minutes to fill from 0. Viair has some calculators on their site I believe.

As for being in the elements, all compressors need to be protected (out of the weather). I would move it under neath the bed as soon as possible. Also like Andrew said if you mount it on the frame it will be much quieter.
johnnydigits   +1y
That comp is old as hell. Viair stopped producing 550s years ago. I doubt they even make replacement parts for it. There's a guy by the name of Lance that works at viair and is extremely helpful and can tell you anything you need to know. I'd definately upgrade to a new pair of comps. 1 compressor for every 5-6 gallons of air.
addiktion   +1y
I timed my 550 and it took 18 minutes to go from 80psi to 160psi just idling. Good or bad?
johnnydigits   +1y
That is sloooow as hell! With 2 viair 480c's with an eight gallon tank would fill from 0-200 in about 6 minutes.
addiktion   +1y
ive got two 9 gallon tanks hey... anywho i found a brand new viair 450 i can get for $500, is that a decent price and will it be enough to fill my tanks?
midnightmike   +1y
ouch 500$ for 1 450 is a little much
midnightmike   +1y
i just looked on air assisted.ca and a dual pack of viair 400c for 409$ cdn