threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Adjustable Suspension \  Official "Baggin' It" Frequently Asked Questions Thread

Official "Baggin' It" Frequently Asked Questions Thread

Mazda Adjustable Suspension Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 4188
replies 8
following 8

devb22   +1y
It is time that we needed on of these for those new members, old members, and overall minitruckers!!!

I hope this can help with all the questions you have, and help clean up the forum with "baggin' it" questions!!!

Keep in mind a lot of this information will be based on YOUR PERSONAL PREFERENCE!!!

Q: I want to bag my truck what do i need?
A: Air Management (Compressor(s), Valves, Air Tank, Air Line, etc..) Suspension Components (Airbags, Brackets, 4-Link or some equivalent, etc..)

Q: About how much money do I need to get a decent bag setup?

A: About $1,500-$2,000 for a basic Front-Back-Side-Side (FBSS) setup.

Q: What is the difference between Front-Back (FB) and Front-Back-Side-Side (FBSS)?

A: FB only allows you to lift/lower both the front bags at once and both the rear bags at once. It does not offer as much control over your system compared to a FBSS setup where you can lift/lower the sides as well.

Q: What size valves are good?
A: It is all personal preference most commonly associated with speed. In retrospect 1/2" valves are fast, and 3/8" valves are slow. A combination of the two; 1/2" fill valves and 3/8" dump valves is popular.

Q: How many valves do I need?
A: For a Front-Back setup you only need 6 valves; 2 valves for the rear, and 4 for the front, this can be accomplished with only 4 valves though it isn't recommended. For a Front-Back-Side-Side setup you'll need 8 valves; 2 for each 'bag (fill/dump).

Q: What brand valves are good?

A: You will find that ASCO and SMC are the most commonly used valves, both are great product!

Q: How do I wire up my valves?

A: Refer to: How To: 6 Valve Plumbing Diagram
How To: 8 Valve Plumbing Diagram

Q: How many switches do I need for a setup?
A: This is a tough one. It is based solely on your personal preference. Whether you want to just go up/down, side/side, pancake, individual wheels, etc..A general idea is 2 toggle switches (front up/down and rear up/down), but it can expand from there to 10 toggle switches and anywhere in between.

Q: How do I wire my 10 switch switchbox?

A: Refer to: How To: Switchbox Wiring

Q: What compressors are good?
A: Viair and Air-Zenith are the top producers of quality compressors.

Q: How many compressors do I need?
A: A good rule of thumb is 1 compressor for every 5-6 gallons of air. Though you do not need to follow this rule, it is just in place to serve as a guideline. Most commonly you will see dual compressor setups.

Q: How do I wire up my compressor(s)?

A: Refer to: Air Ride Talk Wiring Info

Q: What size airline is good for airbags?

A: 1/2" and 3/8" airline is the most commonly used size for 'bags. Again personally preference comes into play here, most commonly associated with speed.

Q: What size ports do I need on the airbags?

A: Most 'bag utilize a single 1/2" port, but 3/8" is also available.

Q: Do I need dual port airbags?
A: Dual port 'bags are usually recommended for and found in hopping where there is a lot of pressure. Drop speed is increased dramatically and for most people it is too fast for daily use.

Q: What brand airbags are good?
A: Slam Specialties produces some great 'bags, as well as Contitech and AirLift. Personally preference will be the deciding factor.

Q: What size airline is good for gauges?

A: Most gauges accept either 1/4" or 1/8" line. Check the gauge to see what size it accepts, though 1/8" is highly recommended and becoming popular among gauges.

Q: How many gauges do I need?
A: Most commonly used is a 3 gauge setup; 2 Dual Needle Gauges to monitor 'bag pressure Front-Back, and 1 Single Needle to monitor tank pressure.

Q: What size air tank do I need ?

A: Tanks can range anywhere from 3 gallons to 12 gallons. A very basic setup with 1 compressor could use one 5 gallon tank, but most commonly used is a dual compressor setup with two 5 gallon tanks or one 8 to 12 gallon tank. Personal preference is what makes the decision here.

Q: How many ports do you need on an air tank?
A: Generally, it is recommended to use an 8 port tank. You can however, have anywhere from 2 ports up to 10 ports. Personal preference again plays a big role.

Q: What kind of pressure switch do I need?
A: This is dependent on the max pressure you are running; 145PSI, 175PSI, and 200PSI are common. There are preset pressure switches (110PSI ON-145PSI OFF), and there are adjustable pressure switches available (100PSI-250PSI).

Q: What kind of fittings do I need?

A: Most commonly used are Push-to-Connect (PTC) and Compression fittings. Whichever you choose, make sure they are DOT Approved.

Q: How many fittings do I need?
A: Refer to: How To: Fitting Diagram

Q: What brackets do I need for the front?
A: The front of a standard 86-93 Mazda will need the regular front torsion brackets.

Q: Do I need shocks in the front?
A: It is personal preference in regard to safety and ride quality. For a better ride, shocks are recommended.

Q: What brand shocks should I use?
A: Bilsteins are the best shock for any air ride application, though there many other options.

Q: Do I need to buy a shock relocation kit?
A: Not necessarily, if you are capable of producing your own kit there is no need to purchase one.

I won't touch on the rear setup FAQ, for the sole purpose that there are too many different variations available to cover...Whichever you choose make sure it is safe!!!

This is not a discussion topic, so please feel free to add something if needed, but keep the same format!!!
speedster93b   +1y

A more direct answer would be YES
You cannot consider your front suspension a suspension without shocks. They are a necessity. I don't care what the idiots without shocks say. it is a safety issue. Do it right and use them.

Great topic BTW Dev!
majordrop   +1y

it's time to de-ghetto-fy my ride (aka finally get around to shocks) Any suggestions on where to mount them up front??

or if anyone could spare some pics that would be great!
bstclothing   +1y

I was going to start a thread on this topic but this sounds like a good place to find out. I too want to put shocks on the front of my dawg. I spent years driving bagged trucks with no shocks and thought everything was cool. That was till i drove to LA down the ten and when i got home i needed to see a chiropractor! LOL! I have added fox 2.0 off road shocks to the rear and i couldn't believe how nice it road just with rear shocks. Im still getting some bounce in the front so adding shocks in the front would make that thing ride like a bently! Any pics or suggestions would be much appreciated.
bstclothing   +1y
Thanks to my wonderful wife and awesome friend, i now own these beauties! Now just gotta figure out how to mount them...

hunterw   +1y
nice! id come off the back side of the LCA and make a mounting bracket on top of the frame
rotten   +1y
i gotta question for the FAQ....

do i gotta modify the front inner fenders to lay frame ? ill be runnin 17" eskies or equivelant, with some low pro tires... prob 40series or so
mercilessltd   +1y
The airridetalk.com link for compressor wiring is down. I'm looking at bagging my Grand Am in the near future and this article is great for the details, but that part is left out.
bodied b2600zx (josh)   +1y
airridetalk.com is down all together. which is a shame. it was a great site. theres a compressor wiring diagram on thorbros.com though if you still need it
Page 1 of 1