Page 1 of 1
Mazda Adjustable Suspension \  Suspension Geometry Information

Suspension Geometry Information

Mazda Adjustable Suspension Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 2528
replies 4
following 3

hex0rz   +1y
So, I myself have been struggling to grasp the whole idea of suspension geometry since Seth turned me onto it. It has been overwhelming for me, and I feel I just need someone to explain it to me firsthand.

I'm the type of guy that needs illustrations and all to grasp something when some big words are used, haha!

Nontheless, I decided I'd post this up to help others who want to take this seriously. I realize the importance of suspension geometry and you cant just weld in the 4-link however you want to without changing something that could drastically affect something with your rides suspension, handling and steering!

Without further adoo, I'd like to post up some SERIOUSLY crazy links that will shed some light! If people so choose, discuss and ask questions here as well so others can understand as well! I'd like to get pics up of things that explain stuff better and give visuals to help elaborate.

Some things here may or may not relate to setting up a 4-link, but it would be nice to know how things work and what is affected when you change things!

Here is a link to pirate 4x4 where a thread is posted to help people understand and use a calculator and more than one I may say to calculate suspension geometry:

Here is a wikipedia link that helps define suspension terms and as well explain a little of suspension geometry:

Here is a link as well that helps you understand suspension geometry and determine vector points:

Here is a link posted by Seth in regards to some more suspension geometry(If I can find the actual article again, it has some pictures to help explain):

A link for info on setting pinion angle:

Here is another link for help on pinion angle and u-joints(Keep this site in fav's as well cause it also covers more than this on this site!):

Heres is a VERY technical site explaining how to find center of gravity!:

ALSO, indulge into these two books to get more crammed into your head!

Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams:

Tune to win by Carrol Smith:

Well, thats it for now, and I hope that this does'nt confuse the average joe! I myself 'am still struggling a little bit to understand all this and how changes in suspension geometry affect handling characteristics.

If anyone wants to start a discussion in this thread and speculate things, I would like to hear someone elses thoughts! I need more than just my mind to understand this! Lol, they should have offered a class in High School on this sort of thing!

I take no credit for these links and these are just sources I've ran across on my search to understand more! I'd love it if Seth would be our teacher on here, but hes a busy guy, lol!

Especially, since I bet by the end he would go bald!

EDIT: OH MAN! So on pirate 4x4 a good fellow pm'ed me with a link that REALLY shed light on this subject!

Down below there is a second article that goes with it! READ this sucker over and tell me you don't get it! Not all of it will relate to use mini-truckers, but this is the next best thing to getting a visualization and finding these variables I had a hard time trying to comprehend!
hex0rz   +1y
Hey, uhh, check this out!

Its another article I'd like to post to help ya guys figure out pinion angle!

Its also got a chart in there so you know when to add or subtract the angles!
toddluck   +1y
cool cool
dropped90(justin)   +1y
damn i just read a good bit of this and i need a break. my brain hurts.

-justin
hex0rz   +1y

Keep reading! Must cram info into head!
Page 1 of 1