Page 2 of 3
Mazda 2.6L \  Lost reverse in an automatic '93 b2600i

Lost reverse in an automatic '93 b2600i

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 5900
replies 21
following 5

emjay   +1y
yeah that isn't going to have anything to do with reverse going out on your truck. It's probably time for an RDI (remove, disassemble and inspect) at a transmission shop.
rolentogrenades   +1y
That's what I was thinking. Cant get it done at the moment, but I've called around and a rebuilt one with a warranty is pretty reasonably priced around here.
scotch   +1y

Nice improvisation on the vacuum line. That's for the vent from your fuel tank. Dust off that solenoid and see if you can read a p/n on it. I probably have one if you can't find one at the junkyard.
rolentogrenades   +1y
Scotch,

Thanks, heh. I'm not sure if the air flow is proper with that modification of course, but anything was better than nothing. K5T 48075 was the #. It also had 2X06 written.
rolentogrenades   +1y
I'll be damned. I took the range sensor/neutral safety switch off yesterday and sprayed it with brake kleen. I didn't expect much to happen since there was silicone on the back plate preventing it from being separated, so I figured how clean can it really be on the inside contacts??? Well, I re-installed it yesterday and went through the ranges and the same thing occurred, no reverse and over revving going down the highway.

Today, however, I tried something I hadn't done before. I warmed up the truck and shifted through every gear a few times, revving a bit in neutral and even reverse. I shifted into reverse again revved and wiggled the shifter. It reversed instantly and keeps going into gear every time now. It also blasted down the highway at 80 with no problems. Still bogs a bit when in drive when I come to a stop turn and take off. I think that is throttle related maybe? Anyway, can't believe it was the damn safety switch and loose linkage this whole time! I ordered a new switch.
rolentogrenades   +1y
Not long after I posted that, I tried to run it down the highway again and it ended up going back to how it was. I was going to check over drive, but never got the chance. Still could be the switch, I'll keep ya' posted when I get the new one installed and adjusted.
dan woodland   +1y
Nice work not giving up.

Sounds like a lack of vacuum (check your hose for cracks) or transmission oil pressure switch to me. The lock-up solenoid is controlled by the oil pressure switch so it will not lockup and lower revs at highway speeds reliably. New switches, I'd recommend a new one I went through three used parts in short order and they can't be "fixed" or resealed. They are about $40 at O'reilly's.

Congrats getting it working again.

Dan

rolentogrenades   +1y
Dan, thanks for the response. Yeah, I had a feeling I should try anything and EVERYTHING before dropping the quoted $1,700 on having it rebuilt. The neutral safety comes in tomorrow, so I'll get to it this week. If it does the same, I'll try those suggestions. I also need to track down the bushings for the linkage and all of that. Again, no idea what the former owner did, but he definitely messed around with virtually every part of the linkage which is what made it loose to begin with.
dan woodland   +1y
Get the bushings at Mazda, they are reasonably priced and will last. I did, you won't beehive how such little things can make it so much better. I bet the PO tried to "adjust" the linkage to make up for the lack of bushings. It can be done but there is a fine line between making it and missing it.

OUCH! I'd go somewhere else for a rebuild!!! I can get it done here for under 1K!

Let us know how it goes. Dan

rolentogrenades   +1y
I have several washers and bushings on order from Jim Ellis Mazda in Atlanta. Even though I'm in Augusta, I think it'll be a while before they move their asses, you know how dealerships are about shipping.

I inspected some photos from some of your old posts and all of those bushings you replaced on the shift lever, including the spacer, are all missing from mine. So I ordered 'em all. Need that if I get a rebuild or not, so why not.

I agree about the vacuum deal. I took the long vacuum hose that goes into the intake to the transmission off and sprayed it with brake kleen and blew compressed air through it a while back. I do hear sort of a whistling when I go into reverse sometimes, so maybe it's even the modulator. Only thing is, when it shifts I wouldn't necessarily say it's "harsh" like what's usually wrong with modulators.

I also haven't ruled out the kickdown switch or lockup solenoid. I'm trying damn near everything, lol.