threads
Page 2 of 3
Mazda 2.2L \  Overheating 2.2... need some help (LONG READ!!!)

Overheating 2.2... need some help (LONG READ!!!)

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2922
replies 23
following 9

hocbj23   +1y
1 other thought.Get a small cheapo inline fuel pressure gauge and hook it up and see what sort of fuel pressure that mech.pump is putting into the Weber.Carbed trucks mechanical or electric pump should be putting about 3 pounds of fuel pressure into the carb,FI trucks 15 psi to the fuel rail.If ur truck is running toolean u may not be getting enough fuel in,which will cause it to overheat and run rough at hi rpm.BJ
markb   +1y
So... after work I decided to pull apart that shiny chrome and glass fuel filter, and see what it looked like on the inside. I couldn't see through the glass case, because it was so dirty.

Here's what I found:

thread post photo

thread post photo

Yeah, like a damn small animal was living in there. I think the previous owner got the fuel cell out of a backyard or something - and clearly it had something living in it at some point.

I removed that fuel filter, and connected the fuel line directly to the fuel pump.

Then went through Weber's setup procedure... Started at 2 turns out on the mixture, and 1 1/2 turns in on the idle speed. Adjusted mixture and idle a few times, and took it for a spin.

RUNS LIKE MAD! Gobs of power (for a little 4 banger), and no hesitation at all.

It's still getting a little warm (only if left idling in the driveway for 15-20 minutes)... Could be timing still. I need to get myself a good manual that actually tells me the RIGHT way to time these trucks - since the opinions on this site vary so greatly.
mazdawg(mikey)   +1y
ok it took me a hot minute to find it. the guy you bought the truck from was on here named maximum_overdrive. i remember him saying something about getting a fuel cell that had been sitting. so after some plundering i found the thread. i would go through some of his old posts and see some of the problems he had.
markb   +1y
LOL, that kid was such a tool... I read most of his old posts, but missed the part about there actually being a dead mouse in the fuel cell. Now I believe it!!

There's still a lot of little "home improvements" that he made... I am slowly fixing them all.

I'd better take the carb apart tomorrow - I have a feeling I will find more hair in it...

My mixture screw is out 4 1/2 turns right now - so either the idle jets are too small, or there's hair in the carb plugging the idle circuit.
maztang (ryan)   +1y
damn! explains a lot man. should be running like a champ in no time now.
markb   +1y
Just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who posted in this thread... Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

As of yesterday, I was ready to sell this truck out of sheer frustration... I think I am ready to enjoy it now!!
mazdawg(mikey)   +1y
thats what we are here for. youd do the same for us.
pont   +1y

See if that helps with the timing
markb   +1y

Been there, done that (yesterday, in fact). But that page doesn't even touch on setting your timing with the engine running, with a timing light.

All I need to know is... set the timing with the vacuum advance connected or disconnected.
slammedyota91   +1y
connected