Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.2L \  trouble installing 6A MSD box 89 B22

trouble installing 6A MSD box 89 B22

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 3812
replies 8
following 4

timb   +1y
I have recently rebuilt this 89 Mazda from front to back. New Webber 38, new 580 lift cam, Wisco pistons, anything performance has been updated. It was not even a question as to whether to install an MSD. I have now been 4 days trying to crank the truck with no spark. I have narrowed problem down to the trigger source for the MSD box according to MSD tech. you should use white wire for a 12 volt negative input. I cannot get a Mazda ignition module to provide this source. I have replaced coil pickup, module separately and also replaced distributor assembly as a whole. I know someone out there has done this and I would appreciate any help. I know the MSD box is functioning properly because I have performed the white wire ground test with coil jumped to ground and it fires like crazy. I just cannot get trigger source through the distributor. I have been working with these motors for over 25 years in fork lifts but I have never tried to install MSD on a fork lift. Motor will start and run if wiring is put back to original position. Please help!!
zanzer   +1y
I recently ran into this on my B2000 while installing a Crane HI-6 system. Since Mazda uses a magnetic pickup you have to remove the module and jump it out. The MSD is only looking for an on/off trigger and the module only confuses it since it's no longer needed to process the signal.

Here's how I modified my distributor to work with the Crane Fireball box. It's the last post on page 3.

timb   +1y
I have newer style distributor on 1989 b2200 so I ordered new distributor for 1987 b2000 . Tried to modify 2.2 dist. but on luck !!! Also like vacuum advance being on top so I came play with springs. thanks for your help Mark I was at my end with this ; and just had to back off a ask for help. I will install b2000 distributor and try agine
zanzer   +1y
Glad I could lend at least a little info. I'm still kinda new to B's so I didn't know there was a difference between the 2.0 and 2.2 dizzy. Now you have me curious...I'll have to see if my friend with a 2.2 will let me pull his dizzy and dissect it LOL
timb   +1y
this is the distributor I have. pickup coil and module are different !!! I have tested this thing every way I can and it will not break a ground!!! I ordered new distributor yesterday but O'Reily's backordered it and so did Advance . checked all local junk yards and no go. I will pick up one from ebay,I need a 1987 or older. ALL THIS WORK and a small part is killing me
post photo
jc50942   +1y
just like the other guy said, pretty sure you gotta bypass the module in the dizzy. otherwise you basically have to modules working against eacother. I had the same issue on a different vehicle till i put in a different dizzy with no module
zanzer   +1y
I have a small update for you Tim. A friend was having some trouble with the factory ignition system on his 89 B2200 so I let him borrow my Crane box until he gets a new CD setup. Being that his has the late model distributor I had to modify it like I did for my 86 and I found that the late mode unit is actually easier to modify than the early one

Here's a couple of pics for you where I removed the module and jumped it out. Truck runs great now

ICM removed and standoffs installed to make up for the difference.

thread post photo

*Note - When we shot it with the timing light it was 45
Lurkbeast666   +1y
Which side is which? We are struggling to get msd going in a 92. We have icm revoved and still no spark. with brand new blaster 2. Not sure how to which is positive and negative on magnetic pickup, don’t really wanna fry anything hooking stuff up wrong
Post was last edited on Sep 11, 2019 02:09. This post has been edited 1 times.
Page 1 of 1