Page 2 of 2
Mazda 2.0L \  1987 B2000 wont start.

1987 B2000 wont start.

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 4934
replies 15
following 5

sincitylocal   +1y
Typical issue with the ignition switch. You can get a new one at your local parts house.
I recommend you do, as it will only get worse.
axel breaker earl   +1y
I recently took the electrical portion of a B2200 ignition switch apart, cleaned it all, re-lubed the copper contacts and re-installed the ignition switch and it has worked flawlessly. Not one hiccup since I did this, and before the cleaning, I couldn't hardly drive the truck! Going down the road it would just shut off.......wiggling the key would re-fire it most of the time, but a couple of times I just coasted to a stop, while trying to get it re-fired.

I'm pretty convinced, if the copper contacts are still decent looking after a good cleaning, then a re-lube will restore the old ignition switch. Sure beats spending a $100.00 bill for a new switch!

Here is what mine looked like before the cleaning.....

thread post photo

There is a lot of copper "particles" mixed into the old grease (what's left of it) and you could see that the "run" contact on the ignition switch just wasn't making a good connection with the spring loaded copper tab that it is supposed to make the "current bridge".........I don't know the technical terms for the little pieces inside the switch, but I do know how it should operate!

thread post photo

thread post photo

Nasty!

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

After cleaning the copper contacts, you can see that this switch's contacts still have some life left in them.......I imagine that some switches are going to be more worn down on these contacts, and therefore might be beyond fixing if the connections are going to be "loose fitting" inside once it is back together. But it's definitely worth pulling it apart to check it and see! I felt mine was still pretty good!

thread post photo

thread post photo
87b2k   +1y
Thanks for the write up. I'll definitely take it apart and have a look. What did you use to clean it?
axel breaker earl   +1y
I just use either Simple Green or Purple Power.......both about 50% diluted with water. I have that in a spray bottle and an assortment of brushes (nylon and/or wire) that iI clean up things with.
87b2k   +1y
Thank you for your help. I'll be taking it apart and cleaning it tomorrow.
87b2k   +1y
I took apart the switch and clean the copper contacts and everything else. Mine surprisingly didn't look real bad. But I cleaned the copper with a 50/50 mix of simple green and water. Cleaned them, then put it all back together and now she works again. No more movement in the key. The truck doesn't die anymore. There's still a few more problems that need to be addressed, but the truck is now a reliable daily driver. Thank you for your help!